Sorry Bambi...

Queenstown Travel Blog

Queenstown

Just one stop on the way to Queenstown, at Kawarau bridge, the site of the first ever bungy jump. So after watching a few brave souls throw themselves off a bridge we arrived into beautiful Queenstown in time for sunset. My walkabout in Queenstown took me to the top of a mountain!! I didn’t actually mean to walk this far but I got a little carried away.. I took the cable car up for a view of the city to start. Queenstown is in a majestic location, right beside beautiful Lake Wakatipu, and surrounded by mountains. ‘Ben Lommond peak 6 hours return’ said the sign, so off i go, couldn’t resist... The thing I remember most about this trek, other than the slap me round the face scenery, is the friendliness of the Kiwi people.

Queenstown
I only saw a few people during the whole trek but was asked each time if I had enough water and sunscreen with me and if everything was OK. Never get this in the Lake District! I truly believe that the people of New Zealand are the friendliest in the ‘developed’ world. You never walk alone in this country, there is always someone there to help you out. The mountain trek was tough and it was a hot day, but it was well worth it. I had one of my ‘special’ moments on the way back. An overwhelming feeling of being so lucky to be doing this, tinged with a little bit of guilt, that i do not deserve this, and wishing that i could share this with friends and family. The rest of my time in Queenstown I relaxed on the beach by the lake, sat in bars & coffeeshops and just soaked up the vibrant atmosphere and natural beauty.
FERGBURGER
The last evening, i went with Brett, a guy from Melbourne I was sharing my digs with, to get a ‘Ferg’ burger. Pretty legendary burger bar in the centre of Queenstown, where I ordered a ‘bambi burger’. Oh yessssssssss , a perfectly tender piece of venison with plum sauce and salad, I was in heaven. I am so sorry bambi! I have never and I mean NEVER enjoyed a burger so much in my life. I think it was obvious in my face too, as people waiting in the queue for their burgers would ask me which one i had! A few drinks with Brett at Queenstown’s version of the World Bar, remember that place in Sydney with the teapot cocktails? Yes, same same... Brett was celebrating doing a skydive and the world’s highest bungy IN THE SAME DAY!! That’s what you do in Queenstown sweeeeeeeeeeeet......

Jopin says:
Yes, I wanted to bungy in the birthplace of Bungy! But sadly, with injuries, I can only ledge bungy... jump with the harness strapped around my waist!! But I'm not complaining... I cant WAIT to do it! :D Nice pics, Karen!
Posted on: Nov 16, 2011
mightor20 says:
awww. you didn't just eat bambi! :( haha
Posted on: Jan 05, 2011
debsadams1979 says:
Ah I have fond memories of Fergburger, I'm salivating at the thought!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2011