HUGS!

Bangkok Travel Blog

There are low moments of long-term solo travel. The occasional loneliness, tired of thinking on your feet all the time, times when you are sick. I am finding it is these times that someone miraculously comes along, makes everything seem OK again. It is amazing the people you meet on the road, even if it is only a brief encounter can literally make a whole world of difference. First person i meet at yangon airport to check in for the flight to Bangkok is Rocio, originally from Spain but she has been solo on the road for TWO YEARS, working along the way to fund her travels. Immediately, it feels wonderful just to sit and talk about our experiences in Myanmar. I feel so much better. We get the flight together, we laugh when we are ordered to ‘let the monk on the plane first’, oh how I have missed this. Like-minded company.

Waiting for our luggage to come onto the carousel back in the free world, the cleanliness, the wifi and ATMs, the luxury of Bangkok airport, we get chatting to a couple of guys, one English one Danish. Both on short term holidays, they had just spent only 2 days in yangon. They cannot believe that i have absolutely no plans beyond arriving in Bangkok. This hadn’t really dawned on me before but was rather exciting. I HAD NOTHING! I had dreamt of this kind of freedom. I didn’t know where I was going, whether I was going to fly that same day somewhere, just me and my bag. As I had been mostly offline in Myanmar it was impossible to plan anything ahead. I thought i would look at the departure board for destinations that day then find an internet cafe to work things out. I was still pretty poorly though and was balancing this against the need maybe to get some rest to recover in Bangkok. I explained this and one of the guys hugged me. A full on warm, compassionate hug and it felt incredible. I so needed that hug without even realising it. He asked me to join them in Bangkok so they can make sure I am OK, but i decided instead to take some antibiotics and check in to a hotel near the airport for a couple of days to work out where i go from here. We said our goodbyes and I got more big hugs from all three of them. Two days later with the antibiotics kicking in I was more or less ready to rock again :)

skippyed says:
I hear you on the long term solo travel, I remember having those moments too. But we push on and we know it won't be long before all is good again :-)
Posted on: Oct 05, 2012
esposabella says:
ahh yes that freedom Karen, is what is missing in my life, the not knowing, but also the excitement of discovering and enjoying a new culture. Hold on to is quick and enjoy every moment!!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2010
Aurora78 says:
Hey Karen. Glad that you've recovered. :) Take care.

xoxo