So long South America

Cusco Travel Blog

My flight from Cusco to Lima leaves today at 4:30 PM.  Thought I would call American Airlines one last time to see if they would change my flight so that I leave Lima tonight at 10:15 PM instead of 9:30 AM on 4/13......whayla...they were able to make the changes so I don't have to overnight in Lima anymore!

Spent the morning visiting the Sun Temple (Qorikancha - Convento de Santo Domingo Del Cusco) and the local markets.  Cost for Sun Temple was 10 soles (not included in the tourist ticket).  Sent email to my hotel in Lima and cancelled my hotel reservations and taxi service for 4/12.  Went back to my hotel and packed my last minute items.

I still had to pick up my luggage in Lima and recheck into AA but now I have plenty time to do so.  My flight on Lan Airlines will arrive in Lima at 5:50 pm and my flight from Lima to Miami would not leave until 10:15PM.

Hailed a taxi from my hotel to the airport for 10 soles.  Arrived in Lima as scheduled.  Met a Peruvian retired man that shared his life story with me (he lives in New York) but his flight from Lima was routing him through Mexico then onto New York and his flight did not leave until midnight.  Upon checking in my luggage to AA, I met three Chinese guys from San Francisco who took a cruise to the Galapagos and then went to Machu Picchu.  Wow, it was great meeting all these different travellers from all over the world and hearing their travel stories.

Thank goodness, I did not have to pay another departure tax to leave Lima (it was already included in the airfare)!  It was a long flight to Miama arriving at 4:30 AM.  After clearing immigration, we had to pick up our luggage and go through customs then recheck them into AA.  My flight left at 8AM and I arrived in Washington DC at 10:30 AM.  It felt great to be home and to go to sleep in my very own bed!

In the fifteen days, I travelled to Lima to Quito to the Galapagos, back to Quito, then to Lima, to Cusco, to Agua Calientes, to Machu Picchu, back to Cusco, to Lima, to Miami and then to Washington DC.  I think I flew eight times and stayed in 9 different hotels but I would not have had it any other way!

Peruvian Art by market in Cusco
Peruvian Art by market in Cusco
Temple of the Sun
Temple of the Sun
Historical building across from Te…
Historical building across from T…
photo by: Vlindeke