Arrival in Lima, Peru

Lima Travel Blog

Our American Airlines flight left Miami on 4/28/10 at 10:50 PM.  They served us a full meal at midnight!  We arrived in Lima, Peru at 4:30 AM the following day.  It took us a while to retrieve our luggage from the carousel, purchase some soles and get our bags cleared through customs (at least an hour).  Yadi arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport and take us to our Thunderbird Hotel Bellavista in Miraflores (costs US$15).  Sure enough, the taxi driver was waiting outside the gates for us with a sign with our names on it.  He dropped us off at the hotel safely.  I must admit that it was still dark and this being my first visit to Peru, I did not know what to expect.

After driving through some pretty run down areas with graffiti on the walls, I was getting a little nervous.  When the taxi driver, turned on a narrow dark street that appeared to be going nowhere, my fear took the better hold of me and I asked him, where are you taking us?  He responded the hotel (duh!).  After making a turn on what appeared to be a dead end road, I could now see that it was the ocean that looked like a desert from the dark (wow!).  After taking a short rest at the hotel, we had breakfast and hit the streets.  Our hotel was centrally located, one block from Parkay Kennedy with many restaurants and shops.  We took a taxi to go downtown (10-15 soles) and see the sights there.  We visited the main plaza, the catacombs at St. Francisco Church (interesting but spooky to see all those bones and skulls in those mass graves), some other churches and shopped at the bazaars (the best prices on souvenir items).
  On our way back to the hotel, we stopped at the Inca and Indian markets to do some more shopping.

Yadi met us at our hotel at 6PM as promised with her bright smile and warm welcome.  She took us in her car and drove us to Baranco.  We then went to Huaca Pucllana Restuarant which had a spectacular view of the illuminated pre-Inca pyramids.  We tried the local Peruvian cuisines including cuy (guinea pig), cabrito (baby goat), anticuchos (cow heart) with yuca and shrimp with quinoa and causas as well as some pisco sour.  The food was delicious, the view spectacular and the company great but be warned this was an expensive restaurant!

Our first day in Lima was well spent.  Yadi took us back to our hotel and we arranged to meet the next day at 10AM.

Tamanawas says:
I'll have to jot down your itinerary! :)
Posted on: Apr 28, 2010
traveller142009 says:
Thanks to you guys for the congrats and smiles. Yes, it is nice feeling to have one's blog featured.
Posted on: Apr 22, 2010
mslellen says:
YAY! A feature blog, how wonderful!
Posted on: Apr 22, 2010
Main plaza downtown Lima
Main plaza downtown Lima
Who is this strange TB from Lima w…
Who is this strange TB from Lima …
The lights of Baranco
The lights of Baranco
Lima Hotels & Accommodations review
Great Location in Miraflores - One block from Parkay Kennedy
Lovely hotel centrally located in Miraflores, one block from Parkay Kennedy. Service, staff, facilities, location were perfect. Large double room wi… read entire review
photo by: rsvpme