A place I would live in... if I was rich

London Travel Blog

Well as the title says it all London is expensive... I think the trick is to forget about exchange rates, because everything is about the same "price" if you go solely by numbers, but then of course the pound is worth $2 US. I got into Gatwick at about 23:00, which I would not recommend, especially since I had to get to Hemel Hempstead, a suburb North of London. My aunt told me to take a train to Wallod & Helldstone or something like that, but of course since I was flying British Airways, I was delayed. So I was told I could take a bus, well apperently the bus station closes an hour before the last bus leaves, so I could get a bus, just not a ticket, wonderful. I ended up searching the entire north terminal, finding an atm, then just taking the Gatwick express for a insane 15 Pounds. Not happy. I then had to take a bus to Euston Station, because the tube wasnt working because some genius had left a package on the train, and they shut down the Victoria line (this was a week after the 2 lunatics drove a flaming car into the Glasgow airport, and to quote some Kiwi in Ljubljana "probably my cousin's landlord Samir"). Finally I arrived in Hemel at nearly 2am, exhausted and ready to sleep. Thankfully, after being in Italy, the nice cool weather was fantastic to sleep in. Unfortunatly, the whole next day was spent going to Wellington, with my grandfather. We visited my favourite pub in the UK, the Wispering Moon. Great Fish&Chips, and great imported eastern european beer, yum! The next day, I spent walking from Buckingham Palace, to the Tower of London, which was wonderful because it was about 20 celcius, and sunny, and I like walking in London. Took the Gatwick express back to Gatwick, and then spent the next hour roaming through the book store in search of something for my flight. I found "In Search of Kazakhstan" by Christopher Robbins. Definatly recommended, for those who are interested in this massive country. Very funny parts too. Anyways back in Pisa, with my eyes firmly set on Stockholm on Friday.
Ann_Hells says:
Public tranport in England is ridiculous! The four hours I spent in London last April cost me 40 pounds on train and subway. So maybe it was a good thing I wasn't allowed much time.
And that's a lot of travel, lucky.
Posted on: Jul 17, 2007