One Surrounded by Many

Houston Travel Blog

I was in terminal E of the Houston airport at the 2nd floor Papaddeaux restaurant awaiting my flight to Argentina.

Many if not all of the international flights for Continental depart from the E terminal.  At this time of night, mostly overnight flights remain.

In the restaurant, I sat at the bar and spoke to the bartenders whom I recognize from previous travels.

Surrounding the bar were men, business travelers mostly, checking their iPhones and Blackberries, armed with sports coats and briefcases.  They arrive at the bar with the same indifference as if they were getting their newspaper in the morning.  I can be one of them.  I can be a drone in an airport oblivious to all but my target gate.  However, once I arrive, I settle down and capture my surroundings.  In doing so, I see one girl at the bar, reading a book and sipping a draft.  She is undetered by the elements about her.  She could easily be a TravBuddy on a global trek.  She could be someone who studies abroad.  I will never know for sure and that is fine by me.

So, once on the plane, I drew my recollection of a person in mental solitude and peaceful disregard of a business traveler's nonsense.

nyprne says: