the way to lopes mendes

Ilha Grande Travel Blog

on top of the first hill
that was one of my most memorable trips of my whole brasil experince!
well, i was on ilha grande with a nice group of people, i all met during my travel. we were not really blessed with the best weather there, but with lots of spirit we desided to take the challenge and to find out more about this "beach" everyone 's been talking about!! to get to that beach (lopes mendes) you have two ways, you can eather take the boat to a closer beach and just clim a tiny hill, or as we desided walk the whole way which should take you about 3 hours.  3 hours doesn't sound that much, so we started  all excited dressed with havaianas (flip flops), i had a huge bag with my camera and food and stuff. the first couple of metres where easy and very beautiful, that changed quickly! because it had been raining for some days the smal path was completly wet and slippery, alone standing was difficuled climbing basicly inpossible, but we desided to go on.
after making the first hill
i was the first struggeling and losing my havaianas, so the others helped me, it took us about 1 hour untill we climed the first big "mountain". everyone was happy and we all thought: it can't get any worse than that, we were wrong!! getting down that mountain was much harder than climbing, everone felt at least once. we had to hold eachother like a chaine not to fall into the jungle, i made my will! but after another 1 hour we made it to a beach! we were all jumping up and down, with a feeling like "seeing land after just crossing an ocean" untill we realised that it wasen't the beach we thought it was, it was just one step to get to lopes mendes, there will be another hill to climp. with absolutly no excitmend we went on, that hill wasn't as hard as the first one, but one of my friends felt really bad and had both her knees open, so the relif was big after we so the next beach appear, but it wasn't lopes mendes, it was the beach were the boat enters when you not deside to walk, so there was this tiny hill in our way to get to lopes mendes.
lopes mendes
we tought that one should be easy after all we just made, but because there were far more people doing that track there wasn't any path left, a slippery roap up and one down. the state we were when we finally made it to lopes mandes, wasn't a very clean one! it took us more than 4 hours and because we arrived so late we just stayed ther for 1 hour!
but i have to say it was worth it, one of the most beautiful beaches probably around the world!
just don't walk there after it'd been raining!!!
and yes, we took the boat home!
funny, after i returned to my friends in sao paulo and told them about my trip to ilha grande, they told me about all the very dangerous snakes and spiders on this island and why you always should take a guide with you! it's good to not know about certain things when you do one!
pirat island