salvador

Salvador da Bahia Travel Blog

pelorinho
in salvador i stayed about a week, it is my favourite city by far from brazil!

1. night: we arrived at a sunday, about 2 weeks before carnaval started, so the city was packed! because of our tiring trip here, we were all very tired, so we went to sleep when we finally made it to our hostel!
at about 8 or night i woke up, and i could already here the noise from the streets, so i went out, the man at the reception told me that i have to leaf everything in the hostel no bags nothing, that would be to dangerous to take with me, just my ID and a tiny amount of cash in my pockets! so i left it all in my safe! my friends already left for the streets so my challenge was to find them! our hostel was at the end (beginning) of pelorinho, so just underneath the big free open air concert, i turned towards pelorinho and it was all packed with people, they controlled everyone to get in to the concert area, so i had to show my ID to the police officers (brasilian police officers look very different to ours, with their round helmets on, and they looked very mean, so i was a bit scared of them!) but i got in with no problems, on stage there were olodum who gave a free concert, amazing! i just heard about olodum because of the video they made with michael jackson, but they are far better without him! and i even found my friends in the crowed! so we had a great night dancing all night long! the crowed was very packed and got more and more the night went on, after about 4 hours we decided to head back towards the hostel, but that wasn't that easy! it got more and more crowded as we went down, and i had plenty of hands in my pockets! (there was nothing to take cause my money and my ID i kept in my underwear!) and then suddenly someone caught my watch (a very old and cheap swatch!) and pulled my arm so i slept down, i would have given him my watch if he'd asked my but he just pulled my whole arm so i tried to free myself, i even lost one flip flop which i managed to get back, my friends pulled my off the ground so after a hard battle i finally was free again, and i still had my watch on (what a miracle!) i was quite a bit shocked of that, so i headed strait back to the hostel!

the next couple of days: we basically just wondert around pelorinho for some days, i went to see the museum of the macumba religion, where they show the influence of their culture from benin africa, very interesting! i was very impressed by a art work of someone who carved every figure of that religion in wood in a very impressive style! and i visited one of the old churches they have, i'm very fond of ceramics so i loved the old wall full of painted ceramics!
on one square i met another friend i knew from itacare, so we went for a drink, we went to the official HI hostel, i was very impressed by the hostel i loved the decoration! and i felt sorry that we didn't stay there, although my hostel was fine too, and a bit less expensive as well! next to the hostel there is the school of the kids olodum, and they walk through the streets every day! so we enjoyed their concert on the streets, they are so good even at that early age!
with my itacare friend and one friend she met in her hostel we went shopping, it was very funny to see how they went shopping, and that the prizes are really different for brazilians than for foreigners! they managed to get the prizes down to about 3/4!!!
i was lucky cause i was in salvador during they celebrated the flower ceremony, so we went in the early morning to see that, but they were dressed white(like in new years) but no-one told us! the beach was very crowded and it amazing to see the different rituals they have!

at night: every night the city was packed and there were plenty of capoeira groups around, salvador is the capitol of capoeira! i never saw anything like that before, they have their own style far faster and more aggressive than the one i saw before! everywhere there were streets stand that sold typical food from bahia, especially "acaraje" you find everywhere in bahia, they are sold by women who wear traditional clothes, and they are a mixture of local spices and shrimps and "dende" oil! i love them! as well as "tapioca" made i think of madioca flour and with a variety of ingredients! i love as well! and stands that sell meat sticks, well i guess our european food security would warn for eating those, but nothing happened!
once we went to eat "moqueca do peixe" one of the most traditional food you can find in bahia, very tasty, but far o much, so we took the left overs with and gave them to street kids (i never saw so many street kids like in salvador, and you can see that they take drugs in their early lifes, that makes you so sad!)
i went out every night, almost every time with different people i met in my hostel! we went twice to concerts one was of a girl formation (percusao as well) and ones we went to see one of the most known groups of salvador, one that just allows black people to join them, but that was more a beauty competition then a concert, so were a bit disappointed!

after a week i kind of had enough of pelorinho and to be treated as a tourist so i went on, even though i'd love to return to the city again ones!
the slave church
view out of the hostel
view out of the hostel
fancy church
fancy church
ceramics in one of the oldest chur…
ceramics in one of the oldest chu…
tourist market