Canela Travel Blog

on the way to the national park
after a short trip from cambara, i arrived at canela, right next from the rodoviaria there was the HI hostel, where i checked in immediatly, i felt as i was the only female guest there, my room was more than tiny and had a very low celing but still they managed to put in two double-floored bed! my suitcase almost didn't fit in my room, i was quite glad to be the only one in that room and there wasn't even a single socket in the room, so to charge my ipod i had to use the toillet one where i couln't leave my ipod alone, so i had a long toilette session! in the town of canela i tried to get money from a cash machine, but although there were plenty of banks around, (banco do brasil and other big ones!) they didn't accept foreign cards (grrrhhh*##!!!!) by that point i was already were pissed by the brasilian bank system! to add that i run into a high security group from an cashtransport, which i didn't get immedialty so i asked them where i can get money, they looked at me in a very mean way and told me with gesticulation that i should get out of the way, i nice local guy who was in the same bank told me that the only international bank is in gramado (the city is right next to canela).
parque do caracol
so i had no choise but to go to gramado, there are buses every 15 min to get there and they are very cheap! gramado is much bigger than canela, and is famous all over brasil for the fact that they have snow for one day in the year, so the whole town looks like a weird skiresort (they never have enough snow to ski, not even enough to make a snowman!) it's a bizar mix between bavarian and i guess an american skiresort style, but they told everyone that it's switzerland for brasil! for me as a swiss girl i would deny that strongly!!! on top i stayed there in the pre x-mas season, where the had to decorate the whole town with santaclauses and other stuff, for me i couln't stay there for long! i searched for my bank and returned immediatly.
next day i planed to go to the parque do caracol (the reason why i went to cambara, i saw a picture of the nationalpark on fotocommunity and i thought i have to see this!)
but the owner of the hostel told me a wrong place where the bus stopped to get there, and there are just 3 buses a day, so i desided to walk there! just 7km! good that i had my ipod charged the day before, i got myself a coupled of apples and some water and off i went! i really enjoyed my walk the countryside is really nice and the weather wasn't too hot, it took me about an hour and a bit untill i reached the entrence gate, first i went to the platform to see that amasing view i saw in the internet, and it was breathtaking! i discoverd the starecase to descend to the bottem of the waterfall, that starecase was very long more than most cathedrals in europe! and not always in good shape! my knees were were shaking when i reached the bottem! there was this big constant rainbow from the fall, very pretty and you felt at the end of the world! but i had to get up there again, it was hard! after a lunch break i went on in the rest of the park, there are some very nice trilhas to discover, that park was really worth seeing! altough the whole concept was in my eyes to touristic almost like a fancypark (which i'm not a fan of!) not like in cambara!
because i liked my walk so much i returned walking aswell although there was a bus waiting!
Canela