japaratinga

Japaratinga Travel Blog

sky
japaratinga was on my way to recife, and i had some days left until carnaval started in olinda where i made my reservation.
to japaratinga i came via maceio, where i arrived at about 5 a.m. and i had about 4 hours till my bus came, so i tried to sleep a little bit, but those rodoviaria chairs are not made for sleeping, it was very uncomfortable! but i saw an incredible beautiful sunrise from the "terrace" of that station! so i was very glad when that bus finally arrived! to japaratinga it took about 2 and a half hours, i wasn't sure if i wanted to go to maragogi or japaratinga, so i just went out in japaratinga, without any specific reason! the village was tiny and the streets are definitely not made to push a suitcase! i found a pousada after some confusion with those street signs! a very nice pousada, very colourfully decorated! but not cheap, well there were no dorms so i had to take a double room for 40r$, the most expensive so far! but the room was very nice!
it was already late afternoon, after i slept a bit (i was basically dead when i arrived there!) so i took my beach outfit and went on walking along the beach, there was absolutely no-one in this place, i think i was the only guest they had although it was season! i think there are some more fancy hotels outside the center but i didn't saw those, so i walked along the beach, there where some funny fishing boats lying on the beach and some kids played with them on the water, so i watched them a bit, i think i went into the sea as well, i don't remember, manly i just read a bit sitting on the beach, when it got dark i headed back, i went into some tiny shops trying to buy something for cooking, of course i ended up getting pasta and tomato sauce, those shops where really cheap!
after i made dinner in that really well equipped kitchen in my pousada, i think it was also the owners private one! i chatted a bit with the owner, he seems a nice and open minded person, but i went sleeping very early!
next day i got amazing breakfast, the lady cooked just for me, cause i was the only guest there! hot bananas with cinnamon and eggs and sandwiches and lots of other things that i didn't minded paying 40 anymore for that night! but i had to go cause the bus to recife i really wanted to catch (i felt really lonely at that place) so i wanted to pay for my room with a 50r$ note, well it was 40 so that should be alright, but no they didn't had change! so i went with the owners daughter to a shop trying to change my bad 50r$ note (i felt like a criminal using a 50r$ note!) but they didn't had change as well so i was forced to buy water at another place just to be able to pay my night, that really was the top of my pejorative treatment , because i just owned a big note (you don't get others on bank machines! and back home in switzerland there are people paying to by chewing gum with a 200 swiss franc note!) after that i had to make a stop at the post office to send a birthday present home to my mum, well i probably should have waited until i get to recife, cause that poor men was more than overcharged with my packet!
so i really had to hurry to catch the bus! but i made it! well i didn't have a nice 3 hours ride to recife, although the view of the coast and the tiny villages you pass where really nice, no there was this old disgusting men sitting next to me and he used all my armrest, so i ended up having about 10cm left of space(cause i didn't wanted to touch him!) and he was constantly showing off that he was the one sitting next the the gringa (in brazil everyone with "blond"(not black) hair is a gringa, not just us amaricans like in mexico), so i didn't have any hopes that he'd move when there was space next to his friend! grrrrrrrrrhhhh!
worldcitizen says:
Hahaha, I guess the problem with 50 Reais bills is all over Brazil. That's surprising that they didn't even have $R10 change though! I only found one ATM that gave me smaller bills. One time I paid for something really inexpensive with a $R10 bill and they gave me back my change in centavos!
Posted on: Sep 07, 2007