itacare

Itacare Travel Blog

way to prainha
from porto seguro it took me 8 hours to itacare, i arrived at about 8p.m. so it was already dark. at the rodoviaria there where plenty of kids trying to sell you an pousada and they were trying to carry your luggage for money. but i managed to get out of their way, than i asked a cloths boutique owner where the street is from the hostel, that was just round the corner. that street was completely covered in sand so it was difficult to walk along with my suitcase, but my first impression of the place was very good, i walked along some very cute decorated coffee's and clubs, the atmosphere seemed very relaxed and inviting, and because it was dark the beautiful lighting came out in a very cool way! i found my hostel easily and they had a room left so i stayed there (although it wasn't the cheapest place with 35r$ a night) but it looked really nice with a pool and a big kitchen! after i left my bags i walked along that very impressive street full of people and very nice decorated shops and stuff i got more and more impressed! at one place i ordered a greek sandwich and in the supermarket i bought something to drink and than i headed back to the hostel.
lost on the way to prainha
in the hostel kitchen there was an other couple cooking, they invited me to dine with them, so i felt home strait away! that couple came from goiana (close to brasilia, the capitol) i never met anyone before from that place! we talked for the whole night and decided that we'd go to the beach together tomorrow, so i was happy that i could join someone!
next morning i met them in the breakfast room, the breakfast was great, they had lot's of stuff i never had before and it was all tasty, plenty of local fruits and juices! after that we went together to the beach, there was a french girl that joined us (she just arrived in my room) so we headed direction "praia prainha", the most loveliest beach, like everyone was telling me! to get to that beach you pass 3 other beaches who are easy to access by a road, on the last one you get on a trilha in the forest that takes you about 1 hour, if you get the right way, after my experience in ilha grande i was quite used to those trilhas (but this one wasn't wet, so no problems) you have to climb a long way up and than down again, and on about 2 points you can choose the wrong direction (we did it both!) but we managed to find that marvelous beach (it used to be private and in the past they asked money to enter, but the changed the law in brazil, so no-one is allowed to ask for money to see a beach anymore!) well what can i say, that place was paradise!!! huge palm trees we lied underneath, the beach was clean not to big and just cool people hanging around! lot's of surfers! the sea wasn't to dangerous to enter and warm as well, no stupid tourist, and the only place they sold something you could get just agua de coco and this hot cheese-stick they sold everywhere in brazil! so no rubbish at all! just great! my brazilian friends felt so safe there, they left the sunglasses and cameras open lying on the beach when they entered the sea! well we had a very nice day, the french girl found a tiny brazilian kid she played with the whole day, very sweet!
on our way back we stopped at one of those 3 beaches (i don't remember the name), that one was overcrowded by surfers, and they were really good! that was great to watch, but at that beach i would have never tried surfing myself (the waves were far to big for beginners!)
at night i got invited to dine again with my lovely brazilian couple (they own a pizza restaurant, where day life, so they know how to cook!) it was delicious! so me and the brother of my french friend invited the couple out for dessert! there are some really good specialty shops in that place, food you don't get anywhere else! and after that i went out dancing with some of my brazilian roommates, we went to a club that was free for girls if you enter before 12p.
prainha
m. so we had to hurry! they had a couple of bands playing beach and rock music, brazilian and international as well, very good! the first place in brazil i knew how to dance (cause i knew the music!) i met some really interesting people at that club, just brazilians that was nice for a change! i had a really good night!
next day i went on those 3 beaches with an other brazilian roommate, she was very nice, but constantly comparing the beaches, just to find the perfect one! they were all heaven.! at night, sarah my kansas friend saw me in the hostel (i didn't know that she was in town as well, i just knew that she was around bahia as well!) so we went out eating mexican food (the first mexican restaurant i saw in brazil) together with her girlfriend, who i met for the first time, we talked the whole night about things that happened and that we've done since x-mas, that felt so cool knowing someone! and at that restaurant i had my first "umbu" juice! (umbu is a fruit, you just get in bahia!) i just chose that juice because i never heard of that fruit before, it was so delicious!
next day i went to a beach where i had to take the bus to get to, together with 3 mates from the hostel, when you get to the bus stop you have to walk down a long way to the beach, and it looked so nice just from above, just wow! but that day i didn't like that much, cause certain brazilians just sit at bars the whole day, even when there is paradise waiting for them right next there! they just want to drink beer the whole day! so i went to the water myself! that was a bit annoying!
at night i was invited by my couple (he was part of a reggae band) to see him play, but i got a huge headache so i slept for a while, hoping that it'll became better! well at about 10.
on the way
30p.m. it was better, so i hurried towards where they were playing, sadly all the good crafts work shops and cool cloths shops were already closed (and it was my last day!) so i couldn't go shopping! i still feel sorry for that!
well i found my friends, and the band was still playing in the middle of the streets, what an atmosphere! i'm not a reggae fan but they were so good (not my friend on the guitar though!) but the rest of the band! but it was thick air between the couple so i went with the girl looking for something to eat (i was so hungry after my head collapse!) and she told me about all the problems they had, that was so sad, i liked them so much together! after their show on the street they had an other one in the same club i already was (and i would have been invited by the band), but i went to bed cause my bus left next morning at 9 o'clock and it was already 2 in the morning and my head was still not perfect!
that place was the best thing that happened to me during my hall trip by far!
itacare is paradise!!!!!