Olinda Travel Blog

yes finally!
i checked in that beautiful hostel in olinda, where i made my reservation about one month before, so that's why i had to pay more cause all the cheap beds were already sold out! but at the end i was glad cause my room was tiny but there were just four beds in and we had our own shower! and in the cheap room they packed in 2 more beds so it was very packed and they had some bad experiences during carnaval, but that later!
well at the beginning i was sick because of my diarrhea! so the day before it officially started i stayed in bed, looking very white all though my nice tan i had at that time! my room mates bought me rice and told me that be the best thing to eat when you have that so i started my rice diet week!
next day i already felt much better, a big group from the hostel decided to go to the city together, so i joined them, i didn't really see anything jet of the town, cause i just arrived from recife which is just 10 min away.
carnaval

the town was more than crowded and there were lots of stands who sold all types of carnaval stuff, so my group headed there to dress them up in local stuff, everyone wanted one of those tiny umbrellas who supposed to be the most important thing to have in the carnaval in olinda! after that we joined the crowd, wow, nothing for people who are scared of space! there was no millimeter of free space, just no, it was hard to not loose one another, so we stepped up a very steam road (the only way to get a bit of air!) and watched the crowd marching on from there! there where "blocos" (groups who play music with lots of supporters behind them wearing all the same t-shirt) similar to our "guggä music" in switzerland (just never as good (and i'm not being vain!), even the music was a bit poor, well they played the same song over and over again the whole time, and i guess if you put all the blocos together they have a repertory of about 10 songs! but after half an hour everyone knew how to sing the songs: oliiiiiiiiiindaaaaa quero cantaaar.
at night
... ) what i was most disappointed were the costumes, if you found any then they were very cheaply made (cheap not in the sense of they didn't had any money, i just meant in a very uncreative way) i guess in that sense the carnaval in rio and salvador are far more interesting!
but on the other hand, it was all free and the atmosphere was great! after about 3 hours in the crowd we had to get a way a bit so we went up the hill, there we got our first (not our last!) caipirinha! for just 2r$!
at night i joined some brasilians to get to recife, where they had a big show case and presented all the different blocos of recife, that night was really good, i liked the atmosphere in the old town of recife a lot, and the show was great, finally i heard some "maracatu"(percussion) not just "frevo" like in olinda (brass instruments and lots of singing)but even the frevo show was great! i saw some incredible umbrella dancing! and my brasilian friends showed me some dancing moves, very exhausting but lot's of fun, so we danced the whole night!
www.
youtube.com/watch?v=lELaEDd2q_g

next day it was the same during the day in olinda and at night in recife, after that we stayed in olinda, there was a small stage with some good music and lot's of dancing and cheap caipirinha! we met this little girl who just danced with us foreigners, so we were not sure if some one hired her to steal us but i think she just felt safe with us! she was there every night and we had lot's of fun dancing all together as a big strange foreign group! anyway the atmosphere in our hostel was amazing! we cooked together went out together even if we stayed in the hostel it got never boring! there was one guy from canada who was this amazing magician, we couldn't get enough of his tricks and the stories about them!
but the atmosphere in town changed! the later it got during carnaval the more trouble maker were around, sometimes you could feel that there was something in the air and then suddenly a big fight right behind you (not with weapons but still scary!) and the police!! the biggest trouble maker of them all! the had their patrolling in cars, and they just drove through the big crowd who was already very packed so you can imagen with a car that tries to get through!! just none-sense! and they where never there if they were needed!!
what also was weird, was the fact that olinda taxis where allowed to enter recife, but the taxis from recife were not to enter olinda! so we had to walk from the city border home every night we went to recife! none-sense as well!!
i almost forgot, at one night we went out in olinda and we had some caipirinhas (mostly caipifrutas much better!!! especially maracaju and abacaxi!!) and there was a german girl who kind of had a bit enough! so she went home early and she pulled over her whole room! so i was really glad that i didn't had to stay at that room, and all the other girls had to clean up!
Hi Hostel