the canyons

Cambara Travel Blog

a local truck
i had a very bad start to my cambara stay, i read in a brochure that there are two banks and an internet cafe around, so i felt safe getting there, but the internet cafe was underconstruction and there was just one bank, just the local one who didn't accept my diffrent bankcards, so i was there with no money at all! first i didn't know what to do untill i found a touristinformation center, where i tryed to explain my problemes (i looked really hopeless!) but there were some very nice girls who helped me out with money for lunch and they asked the local supermarket owner to get money with my creditcard and that worked, i had to pay 10% but i didn't care i was so glad to get money. they also helped me getting a very charming pousada and showed me around the village, i thanked them with one of my last swiss chocolate i had with me!
after i recovered from my shock i went to the tourorganisation place where i tryed to get a place for the two canyons, but it looked like i was the only tourist around so the tours seemed very expensiv (the more people the cheaper it gets!) i heared that for one national park i could take the bus so i went to the rodoviaria to get a ticket for the next day, that cost just 3r$, so i felt i saved a lot of money, but i wasn't that lucky.
parque national de aparados da serra
next day in the bus i drove towards the canyons and the landscape was breathtaking, i kind of wondert in the bus why it takes so long to get there, it just didn't stopped after 20min, and then the bus started to drive down the mountain, the views where that nice that i forgott about my worries, but when the bus finally stopped it turned out that my stop has passed long ago and it was me that should have told them to stop, but noone told me that and they saw my tickets when entert the bus, i asked them when the next bus returns to cambara, next morning was the answer, so i had no chance but taking a taxi back which cost about as much as the tour would have cost! i ended up in santa catarina!!
at least the taxi driver was nice and i got the chance to see that amasing landscape again, that was almost worth my extra cash! but at the end i made it to the park, there were two trillhas to choose, i went the short one first, a very nice walk with plants i had never seen before, plenty of waterfalls at one time i had to jump over a tiny stream but not difficult at all, i was very impressed with what i saw! the first trilha took me about a good hour, after a short icecream break in the information center i headed for the long walk, it was written that it would take about 3 hours to get there, but to got there and back in a bit more than 3 hours so not that long! that walk was on an a wide landroad where you can drive not like the other one, and the first hour you don't see anything from the canyons at all but i head my music so  i injoyed walking, after a good hour you get the first glimps of the canyon itaimbezinha to see, the famous one! very impressing i took many pictures but the light was tricky so they didn't turned out the way i wanted! anyway that long way was more than worth it  and i would recomend it to everyone!
back to cambara i got with a nice couple from sao paulo who picked me up during i walking back!
next day i went with the tour to canyon fortaleza there was another women from brasilia who was also travelling alone, so we could share the costs, after a nice homemade breakfast in my lovely pousada they picked me up.
canyon fortaleza
wehad our own guide who did two trilhas with us, the first one on top of one mountain where many other tourist made it aswell, he was really competent and told us many interessting stories and facts, on top of the mountain you can see to the state santa catarina and just have amasing views, even more than the canyons the day before, on our way we had two snales crossing our path but they were more scared about us than interessted in hurting us. the second trilha was even more amasing we had to cross a whole river barfoot, without our guide i would've never went there, he was really helpfull.the river we crossed turned in to a huge waterfall just a couple of meters from us, that was exciting! the whole tour was worth every penny and really pulled out my cambara stay in positive memories even with my disasterese start!
a local truck
parque national de aparados da ser…
parque national de aparados da se…
waterfall by the canyon fortaleza