AsiaIndiaPushkar

Second day in Pushkar

Pushkar Travel Blog

woman picking flowers

Banana muesli and mint tea at the Blue Café for breakfast. Then a walk around the dried up lake. At one of the ghats a Brahmin takes my hand and puts some flowers in it, then leads me down to a water pool. We sit down and he puts some more flowers in my cupped hands and trickles clear water over it. I have to repeat his words: “Happy family, happy brother, happy life, good future, good health, shanti, shanti, ten dollar donation, happy brahmin, happy children, 100 dollar donation,  good donation for poor people to buy rice, ...” Then he puts a red-yellow wristband around my wrist, before I throw the flowers into the water and the Brahmin rinses my hands with cold water. Then he wants money of course, he´s very businesslike, as if it was a Brahmin´s primary interest to collect money from tourists.

Sanej wearing my shoes
He says stuff like “It doesn´t matter how much you give, it will be up to your good self, you will help the children with your donation, 10 dollar, 20 dollar, 100 dollar, whatever you like.” I give him 30 Rupees and he takes it greedily. Now that his business is done, he doesn´t want to talk to me anymore, he got what he wanted and isn´t interested in a normal conversation.

I walk across a bridge and then sit down at another ghat. A boy named Sanej starts talking to me and puts on my shoes, which are like boats for him. We talk about the school he goes to, about airplanes and about the world outside of Pushkar which he has never seen.

monkeys and Pushkar
I make some videos with my camera as he´s walking around in my shoes, then show it to him and he laughs at himself. He´s a really cute and nice boy who doesn´t ask for money. I ask him about his family and he says his father died last year. I ask him if there was anything his family needed, what would it be? He says all they needed was some chapati flour for making bread, so I agree to buy that for him. We walk back to the main street. As we pass a little shop where they sell some cake, I ask him if he wanted a piece. But he just says in a sweet way: “No, because it would only be for me and not for my whole family.” He leads the way to some shop, where he tells a guy what it is I wanted to buy. The guy hands me a small pack of chapati flour on top of which is a stamp showing the price: 375 Rs (about € 6). Now that makes me suspicious. After all it´s only some flour, about 200 gram. If it was that expensive, how on earth are Indians supposed to afford it? I realize it´s just another scam, the kid and the shop have a deal and the price stamp is fake.
I make a bolt for it.

In the late afternoon I eat a massive masala dosa and drink cay in a restaurant opposite the Brahma Temple. Then I walk up the hill to the Savitri Temple. Children with turbans are playing instruments or just want money in general. Monkeys defend their tenure of the hill and growl in a guttural fashion if you get too close to them. At the top the view from the Savitri Temple is beautiful, the town of Pushkar warmly lit by the setting sun. By now I can sort of understand where the charms of Pushkar lie and why some people stay here for a long time or come back again and again. After all there is a certain lure about it, despite or maybe even with the main tourist street.

Pushkar and the dried-up lake