AsiaTaiwanTaipei

CKS Memorial Hall

Taipei Travel Blog

We walked this morning to CKS memorial hall, which was renamed recently. It wasnt a very long walk, and armed with a new and more detailed map, the walk should be easy. But, my sneakers were wet, so I wore the sandals which I bought from the underground mall at the station the other day, and it is a disastor. Firstly, It is a brand new shoe, and what elders used to say is that the new shoes are going to bite you. I got bitten just 15minutes into our walk to CKS memorial hall. Secondly, remember the sore I got from London? It came back to haunt me. Just a little more walking and that area of my right foot hurts. I dont know why, but somehow, I am scared that it is more than a sore. The new shoe and the sore did not quite make the walk plesant. Anyway, while walking, we saw some gates, the North gate which is near the Taipei main station and the East gate when we were nearer the memorial hall.

The CKS memorial hall was built following the style of Tian-tan in Beijing. Perhaps it is smacked right in the middle of busy Taipei city, the "feeling" of majesty of the building is not as intense as Tian-tan. The place was quiet, so it looked more like a normal city park. But the buildings themselves made sure they reminded us that we are in a city that has a very rich Chinese culture.
We waited for a few minutes for the changing of guards, but somehow, when the hour came, we did not see any guards, just caretakers pruning the plants there, and a cantonese-speaking tour group of about 20+ people. We left for our next destination, which is Dongguan, where we wanted to take photos of the graduation dolls at the entrance of Tai Da, the National Taipei University.
My favourite dish
Since I will be graduating, it will be logical for me to take a photo of myself with the dolls, and that kind of made me excited about my own graduation.
We roamed Dongguan for a while, and had our lunch. I had this fried tea noodle, translated directly from its chinese name. The dish looked very plain, just noodles, veg and some sauce, but it taste heavenly. The Q-ness or the chewy-ness of the noodle is just right. The combination of the sauce and the noodle is not too salty, not to oily. Though not a very large bowl, but I loved this dish alot. And it cost less than 50NTD, exactly how much I forgot, but it is definitely worth it.
After Dongguan, we went to Ximending, which in my opinion, resembles the shopping area of Orchard in Singapore. We window-shopped, and went to a place which was mapped as Cinema theme park.
Huaxi nightmarket
After arriving at the Cinema Theme Park, we realised that it is not the theme park which we have expected it to be. The whole area is lined with cinemas and other movie related stuff. Not knowing what to do, we watched Pirates 3 using the ISIC cards to secure student price for the both of us. That is how we spent most of the afternoon today. Yeah, it is really stupid, because the both of us were laughing at ourselves that we had to watch movie in another country.
After the movie, we walked to Huaxi Street, where the famous Huaxi nightmarket is. It was a very big area, the whole shopping circle etc. Food stalls were starting to set up as we walked along the pavement and it is also a very convenient place to settle our dinner. When we entered the night market proper, we saw snake shops, with real snakes as their marketing tools.
North Gate
The whole street is full of food stalls, accessories stalls and just alot of things to see. We walked somemore to reach the famous Longshan Temple, and a person with 2 extraordinary pets (I missed my own pets). We lingered awhile in the areas near the Longshan MRT station to watch a dancing fountain performance, then we walked Huaxi street again. We went back to Longshan MRT station to Taipei Main station and that concludes the end of our day. Somehow, our trip in Taipei involves a lot of walking and sightseeing, as compared to the activity-based days in Hualien. Perhaps we still had not recovered from our Hualien experience, perhaps we became too tired from the walking or perhaps we were desperately short of cash and all, but Taipei at that point of our trip did not really bring us much fun. The only thing which entertained me at night is watching The Suite life of Zach and Cody, and hoping that the next day is a better day.
CKS memorial hall, the gate