AsiaTaiwanTaipei

SIN-TPE

Taipei Travel Blog

Taipei international airport
Another 10days away from Singapore, this time, I am going to Taiwan with Huiling. I packed my bag 1 hour before setting off to the airport. Then we boarded Jetstar towards Taipei. This was the second time I took budget airlines, the first was Valuair. It was comfortable, though the leg space appear to be small at first glance. The FA were attentive, of couse, nothing like SIA girls. Anyway, the most memorable thing about this flight is the pilot.
We always have nice experience with FA on our flights, but Jetstar pilots were great, at least for my onward journey to Taipei. I have a habit of switching to the flight information page on the in-flight entertainment set whenever I am not watching movie or am sleeping. However, there are no in-flight entertainment in the seats, so I was wondering how could I know where I am during the whole flight. Just in case I need to look out and identify the countries I have past, or just for a peace of mind. At cruising, the pilots did a wonderful job of telling us where to look and which countries we have past, which direction we took off from Changi and which direction we are heading towards Taipei airport. These information definitely made the whole journey no different from my experience on a 4 star airline like emirates. Also, when we reached Taipei airport, one of the pilots exactly came out of the cockpit to send us off. It was the first time I see a friendly pilot, so a plus for Jetstar.
We had teriyaki chicken onboard, though I had a sandwich in my bag, I decided to not consume it and bought the super expensive meal with the cabin crew. The food was average, I mean, I dont expect SIA or emirates food. Then about 5 hours later, we reached Taipei.
Taipei airport may look old, but it is definitely an airport that is up to international standards in terms of security and safety. We had a smooth check-out, and then head towards the bus counters to purchase tickets for our coach to Taipei city. It was a 40 minute drive from the airport to the city, and as we approached the city, the sky was quite dark. We reached Taipei main station, met up with Huiling's brother and head off to find our hostel.
We booked in at Amigo hostel. The hostel was located in a small, dark and smelly alley, and it was just like a local residence. We booked in, realising there was no air-con but since we have came all the way to this hostel, we just booked for one night.
Taipei was amazingly warmer than Singapore. I was reading some blog about Taiwanese tourists coming to Singapore and expressing how hot Singapore climate is prior to this trip. Never did we know that Taipei is soo hot. As there is only a fan in our hostel room, we prayed that we can survive the warm night.
Huiling's brother brought us to a place near his hostel in Taipei University for dinner. I had prawn wanton noodles and it was delicious. Then we just walked around the area, attempted to find another hostel with air-con, but went back to Amigo after a short while. There, Huiling and me walked to a convenience store to purchase water and had bubble tea, the only way to cool ourselved before we head into the warm room. We went online to do some research cos we are going to change out itinerary and then, we slept.
Taipei