In Transit

Heathrow Travel Blog

Flying Over London

Great flight path coming into Heathrow took us right over central London, and with it still being daylight and a clear day we were able to make out all the landmarkslike Tower Bridge,London Eye,Westminster and the Wembley Arch. Plane arrived on time at 19-40 and I decided again I wasn't for hanging about inside and made for the exit.

Wife and kids went through the flight connections, and I soon got a phone call saying that they had been given a hard time at security, getting searched and daughter had to turn out her entire bag. I had sauntered through customs and security without attracting any attention, despite having no baggage after an international flight. I went for a wander round the airport and then up to one of the bars above the check in area and then back out for a walk.

HMS Belfast

Eventually I thought I better head back in through security at 9pm, which was no problem, as it was really quiet at that time of night. It was only after that they had another desk and the woman there asked if I had a mobile phone and swabbed it and then put the cloth in a spectrometer. Found the rest of the family and went and got a beer from the bar in departures.

After a while the gate went up and we made our way along to Gate 8. Boarded what has to be the smallest plane I have flown on, an Embraer ERJ-135, that had just 37 seats, and even then it was only a third full . Still it managed to get up in the air without any of us having to pedal and we landed in Glasgow about 50 minutes later.

London Eye