Day 5 of Australia Adventure - Darwin - Litchfield National Park - April 21th 2010

Litchfield National Park Travel Blog

Wangi falls

Day 5 of Australia Adventure - Darwin - Litchfield National Park   - April 21th 2010

Start of first day of the official tour today for in Darwin. I get up early before the 3 roommates get up, Duncan and this guy named Brian are still in bed. Anyhow I get early and put some bandages on my feet from all the blisters. Then I go out and about for a short walk this morning, before meeting everyone in the front lobby of the hotel. At this point there are more people from the Contiki group here and the tour manager named Jon meets us here as well. Meet up with this crazy guy named Christof from Germany. He tells me how proud he is to be able to speak English and is on this trip to learn the culture, a good move.

Wangi Falls

We then make our way onto the Contiki bus, many of us and Jon introduces himself and the driver Dean to everyone. As there was no breakfast included today, we stop at a rest stop with a store for everyone to grab from grub before we head off to the Litchfield National Park. I grab a sandwich and some juice this morning as a quick pick me up.
On board the bus we are introduced to our Day Song by some group named Hockey. Anyways the people on the bus are from all over, from the Ireland, England, Brazil, Canada, USA, a few Australians, S Korea, Japan and Germany. 22 people as to which I may not be able to name off the top of my head. So I will guess, Christoff, Marie, Duncan, Brian, Wing Li, Yankira, Danielle, Jeremy, Tami, Ariel, Michelle, Kathleen, Niki, Jessica, Lucy, Fiona, Karissa, Nami, Caren, Lauren, Naomi, and perhaps some other names I have can not remember at the moment.
amazing falls to a swimming hole

Anyways on route we enter into Litchfield National park in the outback just a few hours outside of Darwin. We stop at a place called Wangi waterfalls, which is a small but neat water fall, normally you can swim here, but not right now due to presence of crocodiles in the area. Overall, an amazing stop and great photo opportunity. Then a brief walk in the rain forest to encounter some very large harmless spiders. We then board the bus and head off to another spot with some amazing waterfalls and walk a bit of a hike downhill to get to a nice swimming area. It is a nice area to swim as you can chase the waterfalls and fight the current and reach to behind the waterfall. As well a good spot to have a quick picnic lunch as most of the group did go swimming in this spot. A good way to start a good trip with good people.
where we went swimming
We then get back onto the bus and make our way to the next adventure spot. On route it is time for everyone to make their introductions at the front of the bus. We all have to tell a little about ourselves, from where we are from, traffic light to something like what you do for a living.
After that procedure we stop at this area where there are many termite mounds. Look like cathedral of mounds made by termites using their saliva and poop. Some of these mounds are over 12 feet high, quite amazing. You can see many of these mounds by the hundreds all over this area of the outback. Many many great things to see in the outback of Australia.
Another great spot for many great photos and memories. From here we get back onto the bus and now it is late in the afternoon. We head back towards to the city of Darwin as many people have a afternoon nap on board the bus.
top of a termite mound
We get back into Darwin and stop off at a Museum that profiles many historic things of the city of Darwin from the storm in the 1970�s that almost destroyed it. Referring to Cyclone Tracey in 1974, there is a room you can go into that has all the sounds of that fateful night. As also about the many animals and science aspects of Australia.
Do some photos shots of the beach area nearby then off to the hotel.
Then it is off to the grocery store across the street to pick up fruit and other snacks for the next few days. This evening we all join up as a group and have reserved tables at a nearby bar restaurant. I order a chicken something and some Carlton Draught beer. Get to know the rest of the group, then a few of us then make our way to a local club that evening to have some more beers. I order a beer and end up with a pitcher of Carlton Draught and we have some dances on the floor. Overall a great night and a few of us then call it a night as some people are falling on the floor from a few too many drinks tonight. Overall a very successful day. Stay tuned for next blog.

View more information at my travel blog i.e. www.excitingworldtravels.com

Stigen says: