Day 17 of Australia Adventure - Cairns, Australia - May 3rd 2010

Cairns Travel Blog

Day 17 of Australia Adventure - Cairns, Australia   - May 3rd 2010

Get up this next morning as most of us are going out to the Great Barrier Reef. We are doing this day long Reef cruise out to the outer portion of the Great Barrier Reef by a company called Reef Magic. We get onto this big boat, which is basically a high speed catamaran and head out into the ocean. It takes about an hour and half to get to the reef area.
The ride out is a little rough, I am fine, but many other people were terribly sea sick. I sign up for a introductory scuba dive during our trip out to the reef.

Finally we arrive at the reef and get ready to go diving. We all get into our Stinger Suits, which are designed for protection against stingrays.

Great Barrier Reef when I snorkeled
I go and get ready to try my hand at scuba diving, go get all the gear on. Once I do this, I realize that this is quite intimidating and follow through to the dive spot. I go down the stairs in my gear and try to go under water. I am able to do the practice drills at first, but have problems with the pressure. I only go under a few feet and it felt like my head and ears were about to explode. So I came up again, then down once more and got the same feeling so I called it a day for scuba after that.
Then I just went snorkeling around the reef instead and that was lots of fun. Around the reef, see lots of need plants and fish and all types of creatures.  Then it is lunch time on this platform and lunch is an all you can eat buffet, very nice. Then later in the day, I take a boat that has a glass bottom to see more of the reef and get to see a large turtle, very neat.
Great Barrier Reef when I snorkeled
Overall a great day at the Reef and it was something that everyone needs to see when they go to Australia.
We then have a snack on the boat prior to heading back to Cairns at end of day.
We take the boat back to the mainland and board the bus back to the hotel, overall a great day.

Later in the evening dinner is on our own, so I go off with a couple of the Contiki crew to the Cairns Night Market and find some asian food in the food court. It was actually really good, it was a buffet of Sea food, very nice. Then I had to tag along some of the girls who spent like forever browsing the shops, very boring. Finally, when they were done, we went for ice cream at a shop just outside of the market. I had this chocolate and vanilla mixture, which was amazing.
Then we took the bus back to the hotel and called it a night.

View more information at my travel blog i.e. www.excitingworldtravels.com

Cairns