Beginning of Australia - Adventure - Aussie Explorer

Sydney Travel Blog

Australia Adventure - Aussie Explorer - Contiki 2010
April 16 to May 19 2010

Start of adventure for going to Australia, will be a month of good times, seeing the Northern Territory, East Coast, Sydney and Melbourne.
Check in with Air Canada at Thunder Bay International Airport. Grab a coffee from Tim Horton�s as I almost never drink coffee.
Once onto Air Canada Jazz plane for flight to Toronto as the first leg of the big long flight to Australia. On route on the flight I watch a show called �Aviation of Canada� on the personal TV screen. As well I greatly enjoy my packet of nuts and small glass of Orange juice. Finally landing in Toronto at Toronto Pearson Airport. As it is now during my normal dinner hour, I buy an overpriced cheese sandwich and chocolate milk from the airport as I have a 1hour layover before the flight to Vancouver.

movie I did watch on the flight

Board the plane for flying to Vancouver and during this whole 4 and half hour flight, I slept the whole time so it seemed to go by very fast.
Arrive and land in Vancouver and have a 2 and half hour flight. During this time I get my passport and visa approved by the Air Canada rep. Then for something to do I go for a meal break again. Go to this burger place in the new Vancouver airport. The burger place is called  Veras burger, I order spice chicken burger and fries. The Vancouver airport is very nice as it was redone for the Olympics. You can view the mountains from some areas.
I go to my gate and wait for the moment to board the Air Canada flight to get to Sydney, Australia, going to be a long long flight, about 15 and more hours.

Finally board the plane for the flight to Sydney, Australia.
snack on the flight
I have good seat, at the emergency exit on a window seat. But have lots of space in front to which I can walk out of my seat and stretch my legs. Dinner is served after take off and I have the chicken, during this time I watch the movie Avatar to pass a few hours. A good movie by James Cameron, had lots of action and animation.
I also watched this really boring Romania movie to which I watched a guy walk on a sidewalk for 45 minutes. This put me right to sleep in which I slept for almost most of the flight.
Finally after a many hours, I wake up and breakfast is served to which I have the French toast, not the greatest but OK..

We Finally land in Sydney, Australia, to which I get my first view of the city. A nice sunny day of about 29C at that time and looks great. It is not Sunday morning as crossing the international date line I miss Saturday.  Before getting off the plane, they have to quarantine the plane by spraying everything. Finally get off the plane and go through the usual procedures with immigration and customs, of course, with no hassle.
Get out the airport and line up in what seemed the world�s largest taxi queue. I make my way to the stand a get a cab to take me to the hotel. Arrive at the Y Hotel in Sydney and I am right in the downtown area. Early in the morning so I go and drop my bags off and then off to start my adventure in Sydney.

Stay tuned for my begin of Adventure of time in Australia on next pages.

View more information at my travel blog i.e.

dallastexas says:
I had hoped you would post some pics.
Posted on: May 27, 2010
A Good Budget Price Hotel in Downtown Sydney, Australia
Y Hotel Sydney This is my review of the time I spent staying at the Y Hotel IN Sydney, Australia I stayed here as my first spot to stay on Arrival… read entire review
A Good Budget Price Hotel in Kings CrossSydney, Australia
Holiday Inn Kings Cross or Potts Point Stayed here for one night as part of the Contiki trip for Australia. Did one night in a quad share room in … read entire review
An Ok Hotel to stay near hotel
Stayed here for one night as I had early morning flight to get to back home the following morning. It is good close to the Sydney airport. Otherwise n… read entire review
photo by: Sunflower300