Time to Chillax in Beautiful Floripa

Florianopolis Travel Blog

En route to Isla Santa Catharina from Florianopolis
I wasn't too sure about how long I'd spend in Florianopolis as even though I'd found out the weather was going to be good it sounded as though there wasn't too much to do...why I'd thought this would be a problem I don't know! Especially as after a pretty hectic week in Sao Paulo and Curibita I really needed some down time.
After for once forcing myself to get into gear and leave somewhere before lunch I left Curitiba for Floripa. A 7hr bus journey later (thanks Lonely Planet for yet again undercooking the time by at least an hour) and I was in Floripa.
The view from our balcony at our hostel at Praia do Mole
As part of my attempt to scale back unnecessary expenditure I took the local bus instead of the expensive taxi. Yet again Brazilian kindness shone through after I'd missed my stop, a lady on the bus went and explained to the bus driver what had happened, he then got me onto another bus going back the other way and the next bus driver told me I didn't have to pay and also got me off at the right stop, you just wouldn't get that at home.
The hostel wasn't easily visible from the road do after walking the wrong way I finally found it; Sunset backpackers is located at the top of a hill overlooking the sea, the view was amazing and we had our own balcony with the same beautiful panorama. Our bathroom also had a spa bath! The hostel itself is 5 mins away from suposedly one of the islands best beaches Praia do Mole, has it's own pool, free wet suits, surfboards, beach games, the free breakfast was the best I'd had anywhere and the staff rocked! This by far the best place I'd stayed in Brazil hands down.
Sunset over Isla Santa Catarina
I think the fact I enjoyed it so much is the people who were staying there were such a great mix that it really made me feel as though I could've spent weeks there, doing not a whole lot, other than watersports and trying different beaches. The only other beach I saw while I was there was one of the other great surf beaches, Praia Joaquina. I was a bit disappointed I didn't actually try any surfing but the surf wasn't that hot until my last day and combine that with the surf school on the beach didn't open until about half an hour before I needed to leave you can see why I didn't make it, not that I minded too much as swimming in the incredibly clear water and just lounging around on the beach chatting and reading were more than enough for me.
Other than hitting the beach everyday (hard life isn't it) I also made the most of the great food both at the hostel (we had our own chef) and at some of the restaurants, we sampled a really great shrimp/prawn dish that translates as Shrimp Sequence, which is essentially different shrimp and fish dishes cooked in a variety of different ways as well as Fejoida, a typical Brazilian stew cooked in a clay pot.
Walking down to Joaquina beach
The most awesome thing about food in the hostel was besides it being cheap it was all you can eat. We also got introduced to the Amazonian fruit Acai, which we're told you can only buy as a pulp not the fruit itself, I've seen it in smoothie places at home but never tried it, the best way, so I'm told, to eat it is with banana and granola. It looks a little weird as the fruit is a really deep purple colour but tastes amazing, my smoothies will definetely have it from now on.
So besides some of the most amazing beaches I've ever seen, great food, a fun hostel and great people there's also great nighlife. Even though I didn't get to do a really late night I still had fun, when I first arrived at the hostel the staff really wanted to create a great atmosphere and we soon had one of them playing guitar in a comedy style (think Phoebe from Friends) and another dancing on the bar with his shirt off.
Joaquina beach
One of the guys there from Brisbane could play guitar and pretty soon he was taking requests, the staff then gave all the girls free t-shirts for singing along, sweet! We also got treated to free drinks from the owner one of the nights as they were celebrating finally getting into Lonely Planet...these guys really seemed happy to spoil their guests and I certainly wasn't going to complain.
I got persuaded (yes it didn't take much) to head out to a Samba club one night where I got to witness some of the most amazing dancing i've ever seen, I was mesmerised watching this one guy twist, turn and throw his dance partner around. Some of the guys tried to get in on the action but I think the most anyone made it was about 5 minutes before their Brazilian dance partner blew them off, not that I even ventured an attempt.
Joaquina beach
I'm really looking forward to seeing Tango in Argentina as well, maybe I'll even try a class.

So that was the uber chilled party place that is Floripa, I can't believe I was thinking of sacking it off earlier on in my trip, I loved it so much that if I can find enough money to buy a summer pad there I will so do it.
En route to Isla Santa Catharina f…
En route to Isla Santa Catharina …
The view from our balcony at our h…
The view from our balcony at our …
Oooooh yes please!
Oooooh yes please!
Fisherman down at the main town
Fisherman down at the main town
Cienna and I go out for posh nosh.
Cienna and I go out for posh nosh.
Florianopolis