Nazca lines, they'll turn you green

Nazca Travel Blog

The Whale

The whole day in Nazca was not one of my better experiences in Peru; we arrived to find our 'free' transfer to the hostel where we would be leaving our bags nowhere to be found. After inquiring about onward buses to Lima and Anna's final destination Truijillo, we decided to take a taxi to the hostel. I didn't like the vibes I was getting about Nazca, aggressive touts and taxi drivers trying to sell you tours over the Nazca lines was already starting to bug me. The taxi fare to the hostel was thankfully a paltry sum so we didn't feel too aggrieved that our ride was a no-show, things then got even more annoying when we arrived at the hostel as the owner gave us some feeble excuse about not knowing we were definitely coming even though we'd been at the tour companies offices in Arequipa the day before and they knew we were getting the evening bus the same day.

The Spaceman
The hostel owner then told us that he'd also cancelled our flight for the same reason, he booked us another flight and we left with a German couple to take our flight. We then were none too impressed when we arrived at the airport to find that we weren't flying with who we thought we were, which was the whole point of booking the trip with Peru Suisse back in Arequipa. Now you may think that we were quibbling over nothing here but there have been a few fatal plane crashes over the past twelve months due to shoddy planes so you have to be particularly careful, the company we had intended to fly with originally had been mentioned on the British Governments website as being one of the best companies to use, hence my irritation and feeling of being hoodwinked.
El Mono
Disgruntled we boarded our plane and were determined to make the most of our otherwise bad day. The little 6-seater plane was the smallest aircraft I think I have ever flown on or wish to do so again. The flight in total was about 35 minutes long but that was more than enough for me as I spent the entire time trying not to puke my guts up, the sharp banking  movements were not doing much to help that feeling either. I think its fair to say that I don't think I enjoyed the Nazca line as much as I could have done! What I did manage to glimpse was mind boggling, these ancient works of art are just huge and really fascinatingly beautiful, I only hope my photos do them justice. I started to feel a bit better on terra firma and soon enough our ride arrived to take us back to the hostel and when we arrived Anna decided to confront the owner (I would have offered but didn't think I was in much of a state to do so at that point) as we had decided we weren't best please with how things had panned out but he just kept giving us the same line as when we arrived.
The Condor
the shower available was also pretty gross so we decided to forgo that pleasure and take our bags to the Cruz del Sur terminal and leave them there while we went to get cash and get something to eat. The run of bad luck however continued when we went to pay for our bus tickets Anna had somehow acquired a fake s./100 note, we still don't know how she got it but suspected that the guy at the bus terminal did a quick exchange under the desk as when she went back to the bank where we'd withdrawn our money to try and tell them she'd be given a forgery they showed her that all of the notes that come from their ATM's  are marked with a non-visible ink which shows up under UV light. We'd tried to see if we could slip it to the restaurant owner (bit dodgy I know) but when she went to get change for our bill we were rumbled so I paid while Anna went to duke it out with the bank, ever feel like an entire town is conspiring against you? I hung around outside the bus terminal but after a while I started to get hacked off with the all of the hawkers so sought refuge inside the bus terminal (Cruz del Sur have security guards to keep the peace thankfully) and watched England scrape a win to make it through to the next stage of the World Cup.
The Spider
Anna was back pretty much as the game finished and soon enough we were on our way to Lima, more old movies and eight hours later we had escaped a soul sapping Nazca and had arrived at our destination, hurrah!

debsadams1979 says:
Don't worry, I'll get round to it, still working my way through the 1000's I've taken so far on this trip!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2010
Stigen says:
You should post the Nazca pictures !
Posted on: Oct 01, 2010