Capital Stuff

Lima Travel Blog

Sculpture, Miraflores

After collecting our bags, Anna and I said our goodbyes as she went off to catch her next bus I went to find a taxi to Miraflores, one the more affluent parts of Lima. My Spanish was at a stage where I could hold a small and fragmented conversation with my taxi driver (probably riddled with gramatical errors though), although I was still unable at this point to talk about past or future, it was all about the now people! Anna had recommended the Pariwana hostel in Miraflores and it didn't fail to disappoint; the rooms were nice and clean with big beds and lockers which ingeniously all had power points so you could lock your valuable electronics away while they were on charge (I've heard of several people having things stolen while charging their various gadgets).

A misty day over Miraflores
There was also a huge roof top bar with a good happy hour and cheap eats. Miraflores is a gentrified and upmarket area that encompasses part of the coast and a lot of Lima's well healed, and boy does it show - big shopping malls, upmarket restaurants and flash European cars grace your every glance. It certaintly felt worlds apart from much of Peru that'd I'd previously experienced. My two and a bit days spent here were rather low key, I'd intended one of my highlights to be going paragliding over the cliffs of Miraflores after not being able to find anywhere to do it in Arequipa, finding out it was available through a reputable company at my hostel seemed like a result. I booked it for the following day and hoped the weather would hold out.
After sorting that out I decided to just spend the day checking out  Miraflores and went to see what I coudl find at the various artisans markets as there were still people I needed to get presents for, that and induldging in some guilty pleasures of western food (Dunkin' Donuts was just round the corner, naughty I know!). I'd met three Scouse lads at the bar the night before who seemed like good fun (they were always going to be alright by me being fellow Liverpool fans) so I met them again later that night for a few bevvies, they were heading out for a big night but I declined thinking paragliding with a hangover wouldn't be the smartest idea yet. The paragliding the next day though didn't materialise, I had to check with the tour desk in the hostel at regular intervals to see if the weather was good enough to go out but each time it was a 'no'.
It proved to be a frustrating and wasted day as I'd wanted to also go and check out Central Lima to try and watch a World Cup match in their fan park as I'd seen it on the TV as I'd travelled throughout Peru and thought it woudl be a good experience given the South American's love of football. In the end I had to settle for wandering down to the beach and around the mall at Larco Mar, dug into the cliffside it's quite a good place for people watching, and if you want to shop in Western shops I suppose. After meeting the boys in the bar for a few more drinks and going to check out another hostel where their friend Andy was staying, I left them to it outside TGI Fridays,  I desperatley needed to hit the hay as my flight to Iquitos the following day meant a rather early start.

Well that has to be one of my shortest entries yet, I usually like to try and fit quite a bit into my city stays but on this occasion I didn't want to try and pack too much into my time in Lima and quite enjoyed the chilled few days before what I knew would be a pretty full on week in Iquitos.

LarcoMar by night