Phakding to Namche Baazar

Namche Bazaar Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 14 › view all entries
Soon it was morning and got out of bed around 6:00am, outside it was cloudy and visibility was not good. At home it was a struggle everyday to get out of bed before 7:30am and start with daily routine work. But here things are different, you actually feel good to get up very early, get ready with your bags and look forward toward the days walk. I was down in the dinning room and found it empty, due to the cold every one was still in bed, trekkers and hotel staff both. It was only around 7:00 am that the staff started getting up, starting the kitchen for breakfast. By 7:30am the dinning room was full, everyone wearing thick jackets and waiting for the hot breakfast to be server.

After some good heavy breakfast started walking around 8:15am over relatively easy trail and after walking for around 2 hrs 30 min we reached Monjo, our lunch stop.
Just after Monjo, there is a Sagarmatha National Park office where you need show register your passport, permit details and pay the entrance fee (For SAARC nationals: 100 rupees, for other Foreigners: 1000 rupees.) Just after the permit office you walk down some stairs and cross the suspension bridge to reach Jorsale. This is the last stop before starting the tough climb up Namche hill. If you need to buy snacks or need some rest, this is the place to stop as after that there are no tea shops till you reach Namche bazaar.

After Jorsale, cross another suspension bridge and walk on the banks of the Dudh Koshi river till you reach some stairs and can see another suspension bridge above which connects to the Namche hill. The traffic of these stairs get quite busy as you will find lots of porters going up and down between Namche and Lukla.
After cross the suspension bridge it’s a tough climb all the way up and some people might start feeling the effect of increasing altitude. Half way to the top and I was extremely tired with my legs and body paining. But still kept on walking slowly with frequent rest stops, on the way passing a rest point where during clear weather you get the first glimpse of Mt Everest. Finally made it to Namche Baazar around 4:00pm completely exhausted. Reached the lodge with wobbly legs paining like hell and crashed into my room. Again it started getting cloudy, temperature plummeted quickly and got extremely cold. I was shivering but decided to walk around a bit to give my body muscles some movement to flex them out. Made a call home to inform everyone that I was doing fine, did not get a chance to call home since was running all the way when started from Bangalore.
Started talking to a few shop owners as they remembered me from my last trek, some of the guys had visited India and were telling there stories, experiences in India.

Soon the temperature went down further so retuned back to my room to relax some more, warm up my legs in my sleeping bag and blankets. Around 7pm came down to the dinner table where the room heater was working quite nicely and the room was cozy with all trekkers enjoying there dinner. After a nice dinner of dal-bhat, retired back to my room for the night after a very tough and strenuous day. Kept walking up at night, bit uncomfortable due to the cold so drank lots of water. The night sky became clear with the stars shining brightly.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Taking rest.
Taking rest.
My guide
My guide
Namche Bazaar
photo by: halilee