Kathmandu to Lukla via Agni air

Lukla Travel Blog

Woke up at 5:30am from the alarm on my mobile and quickly packed my bags and was down where Pancha and my guide were waiting. Off to the airport at 6:30am for the Lukla flight scheduled to depart at 7:30am. We were flying by Agni air and were told that the flight was a bit late, how much late no one knew and as usual there was chaos at the small domestic terminal. We waited for almost 2 hours and finally the flight departure announcement was made at 9:30am. By 9:45 we were airborne and reached Lukla around 10:15am. We were out of the airport by 10:30, a short stop at one of the hotels to arranging the baggage, some tea and were on the road by 11:00am.

We had hardly walked for 15 min when we were passing some porters carrying huge amount of load on there heads/backs.
One of the porter walking in front of us slipped and fell down some 3-4 stairs with his load crushing him down. We dropped our bags and ran to help him, me and my guide lifted his load and it was almost 100Kgs, the porter had some scratches and bruises but no serious damages. I thought he was really lucky but was wondering how he will manage carrying this load till Namche Baazar which was almost 2 days walk. This fellow coolly gets up, starts arranging his load, tying the ropes and getting ready for the long painful walk. We too carried on with a heavy heart, things are really bad for poor people in Nepal who are so heavily dependent on tourism and trekking. Most of the people are against making any roads or improving the infrastructure, as they feel that it will snatch away there only way to earn a living, if the trekkers find alternate and easier way of travel on this most popular Everest trek route.

The first 30 min is all the way down and now there are some stairs to walk down till we reach Chhepling village. After that it becomes a bit flat and, a bit up and down for around an hour till we reach a suspension bridge near the waterfall. We had lunch at this village named Thade Koshi near the waterfall and suddenly it started getting windy and cold with the clouds everywhere. We started walking towards Phakding and reached there around 2:30pm. This was our stop for the night so got a room, re-arranged my luggage and attended to the paining legs.

It started getting cloudy and soon started raining which resulted in the temperature going down very quickly. It was almost freezing by 6pm and everyone was shivering, jackets and sleeping bags were quickly out and people were assembling in the dinning room. Dinner was served around 7-7:30pm, I had a good portion of Dal-bhat and retired to bed inside my sleeping bag. The rain kept pouring the whole night and temperatures plummeted further down. Woke a few times at night at the sound of lightning and heavy rains but was able to get some good rest and sleep.
This porter fell down the stairs c…
This porter fell down the stairs …
photo by: halilee