At sea....

Atlantic Ocean Travel Blog

She´s huge!
We spent nearly seven days at sea crossing the Atlantic Ocean. We sailed late Sunday night and did not hit land until the morning of Sunday May 9th in La Palma Canary Islands.

Our days at sea were simply wonderful! The ocean was very smooth, one day it actually looked like clear glass. We had little to no motion on the ship, beautiful sunny skies, warm weather and only two days of wind. We spent the bulk of these days sleeping late, lounging by the pool, enjoying the cruise activities, working out and eating too much. What a fantastic week!

I will share a few anecdotes from our time aboard ship and a few photos....be sure to check out Brian´s blog because we took several short videos aboard the ship and they are pretty fun and worth watching.

Day one at sea started out a bit rough for me. Sunday night we went to see the comedy show and when I sat in the theater an old woman behind me grabbed the back of my neck, very hard, and would not let go. She was trying to tell me something, but it took a few seconds for me to realize that she wanted me to get up. Before I sat down she had placed her foot in the back of my seat and when I sat down her foot got stuck and was in a very painful position and being smashed....yikes! There are people from all over the world on this ship so sometimes there are communication difficulties, but luckily no permanent damage was done.

Monday morning we woke, had breakfast and headed to the pool. I have recently started wearing a bikini again after a million years and I had my bikini on and was enjoying the sun.
View of San Juan prior to departure
After a bit I went to the restroom. When I bent down to retrieve my backpack from the floor of the restroom the back of my bikini top broke....actually burst right open and was not repairable. I panicked. I was in the stall on Deck 11, in a public restroom, my cabin is on Deck 7.....very far away, and there was no way to hold my top together. I finally decided to use my cotton skirt as a dress and pulled it over my boobs to cover where my top should have been. I jauntily left the bathroom, went straight to the elevator and my cabin to change. Once changed I went back upstairs to the pool, only to discover Brian standing under the awning, holding all of our stuff, looking around and trying to figure out why it was taking me 45 minutes in the bathroom. He saw my face and could tell that something happened but I was not yet in a position to talk about it.
The pool deck at night
He explained that it was raining so we headed back to the cabin. Once there I started to tell him what happened by saying, ¨<I had a problem in the bathroom> over and over a few times. By the time I explained what had happened I was crying and he was holding me, patting my back and trying his hardest not to burst out laughing.

By now, the story is hilarious and I can laugh about it....but as a somewhat overweight woman who was newly wearing a bikini, it was not funny at the time!

That same afternoon we decided to hit the gym. I made Brian promise that we would work out while on the ship. We had a great cardio workout and while on the bike noticed several women come to the front of the bikes, place a mat on the tile and work on some abs.
Happy to be dry
Once I finished on the bike, I got a mat and was 5 sets into my abs workout when one of the cruise staff came and started lecturing me that I could not be on that part of the floor. It was very upsetting given that several other people before me had done the same thing, and of course I was still quite sensitive after my bikini ordeal, so my workout ended on a sour note. Never fear though, on Tuesday it was a beautiful day at sea and no more dramas!

Brian and I have a favorite pub on ship. The Adventure of the Seas is currently the second largest ship for Royal Caribbean, now that the Oasis is sailing. It is huge. On Deck 5 they have a Promenade that spans the length of the ship. It is tiled like a pedestrian mall, has shops, cafes, bars and they use it for parades and street parties.
A game of mini golf at sea
Along the Promenade is the Dog and Duck pub which is designed like a typical Irish pub. The best part is that they have great beer. Murphy´s stout and red, in the large glasses for only $5.95 which is a great deal considering that a regular bottle of Bud Light is $4.25. We stop by the Dog and Duck every night and have a few beers with our friends the bar staff! They also have a pub singer there every night, playing guitar and singing all of your favorite pub tunes, so it is a great place to hang out.

We have been enjoying some of the cruise games and activities, but no wins yet. Brian did a great job in the belly flop contest, but unfortunately there was a huge guy named Frank who won the contest. You can´t out belly flop a 350 pound guy, it is simply not possible.

On May 8th, our last full day crossing the Atlantic, Brian and I were able to watch the sun set into the ocean. It was beautiful and amazing. I have posted some of those photos here. Be sure to watch the sunset video on Brian´s blog because it is beautiful!

I have spent lots of time each day and night scanning the ocean, but my friends the dolphins and whales have not visited our boat. We haven´t seen another single thing out here, not another ship, no airplanes over head, no animals or fish....just streches and streches of ocean as far as the eye can see. We keep thinking about Columbus. We are taking his same route in reverse. Puerto Rico, Canary Islands then Spain. He crossed the Atlantic at a time when most of the world believed the earth was flat and that you would fall off the edge if you went too far.
Our view for seven days...Awesome!
What an amazing risk he took. Whatever you think about his later actions, his exploration across the Atlantic was pretty awesome. We keep commenting how much better our accomodations are....beautiful ship, great food, no scurvy or rats.....oh and we don´t have to work while crossing. Looking out at the sea, which looks exactly the same as it did when Columbus crossed....you really understand how big the world is.

I have to tell everyone who loves cruising to take a repositioning cruise across the Atlantic. It is simply wonderful to relax at sea with beautiful weather, calm seas and days upon days of rest and relaxation.
Self-portrait in the Dog and Duck