EuropeSpainRonda

I can´t stop taking photos...

Ronda Travel Blog

A view from the car, all along the hill there are silver windmills.

After waking, we got the car and left Granada to drive through Andalusia to Ronda. This drive is so beautiful, I kept trying to take photos out the window of the car and Brian was sure I was going to lose my camera in the process! To all those who rave about Tuscany, come to Andalusia, it is amazing!

The scenery varies from golden fields, olive groves, rocky hills, tree covered forests, all dotted by small towns painted entirely white and perched on the sides of hills. Simply gorgeous!

We arrived in Ronda in the afternoon to sun and bright blue skies. We made our way into town, parked the car and got checked into the hotel. We chose Ronda because it is one of the larger of the white hill towns and it is perched, straddling a large gorge that drops 300 feet and is spanned by a beautiful bridge.

Entering the bullring
The gorge actually separates the old town and the new town. In the background are hills, and the countryside is dotted with vineyards and farms. I literally cannot stop taking photos!

In addition to the gorge, Ronda is the home of modern bullfighting in Spain and has a beautiful bullring and museum that you can tour. Unlike Sevilla where you only get to see the actual bullring for a minute, in Ronda you can walk right out onto the sand, through the pens for the bulls, sit in the stands, or wave to the imaginary crowd as you imagine them roaring while preparing to face the bull. The museum contains a great history of bullfighting as well as lots of interesting artifacts. It is well worth a visit.

After leaving the bullring we headed into the old town to take a walk down to the bottom of the gorge.

Ronda Bullring
We saw the path from the top and found our way there, only to discover about halfway down that we were on the wrong path. We hiked back to the top, caught our breath and drank some water before heading off to find the right path. Luckily we did all of those workouts on the ship!

The correct path takes you down through the old town, past the house where President McKinley´s grandson lived, past the church that was the site of the inquisition in Ronda and down to the two lower, original bridges, the first built by the Romans and the second by the Moors. At the bottom you can walk through the original Arab baths. After crossing the Arab bridge you wander back up to the top on the New town side of the gorge.

Ronda is a beautiful town and the people are very friendly and proud of their city.

After wandering around we got an ice cream and went to relax in the park, La Alameda, which was across from our hotel. It was early evening and all of the families were relaxing in the park with their kids, playing soccer, walking dogs, feeding the pigeons. It was a great scene!

I have to give a bad review to the ice cream cone though. The cone itself was good, but the scoop of ice cream was so tiny, it was literally one spoonful of ice cream that fit inside the cone, nothing draped over the edge, and she did not even push it down into the cone to put another scoop on top. I ate it in two bites and did not even need a paper to protect my hands from ice cream dripping out the end of the cone, pathetic! Despite my disappointment, it was a very enjoyable afternoon!

We wanted to experience tapas in Ronda for dinner, but it was a bit difficult on a Tuesday night because many places were closed. We sat in one place and watched the Simpsons in Spanish with the bartender and then we found another place that was busy, had great tapas and great wine. We stayed there at the bar and started planning our wedding and drank wine for a few hours.

Tomorrow we head to Pileta Cave and on through Andalusia.

A view from the car, all along the…
A view from the car, all along th…
Views from the top of the gorge