EuropeSpainRonda

Pileta Cave and Andalusia

Ronda Travel Blog

View from the top of Pileta Cave

We left Ronda and drove about 30 minutes out to Pileta Cave. This is a cave discovered in 1905 that contains prehistoric cave paintings and is one of the only places you can see cave paintings that are this old. The family of the man that discovered the cave still owns it and they take up to 10 people at a time on an hour long tour through the cave. Getting from the parking lot up to the cave involves a steep walk, up some steps made of stone, without a rail, and it was scary enough that I wasn´t sure I could make it, but I am so glad I did!

Pileta Cave is amazing. It was carved out by a river and once inside it is amazingly large, filled with beautiful stalagtites and stalagmites. The Bullon family spent thirty years carving stone steps inside the cave to make it more accessible for visitors. You walk up into the cave, through room after room, viewing the beauty of the cave itself and the primitive cave paintings made with ochre.

Inside the cave
Many of the drawings are the outlines of goats, stick figures of man with bow and arrow and many are simply dashes and lines that appeared to me to be some sort of counting or calendar system. But when you get to the back there is a large wall, filled with paintings and in the middle is a painting of a giant whale. On our tour we had some Aussies, some French Canadians and some French people and one of the French women said ¨C´est Fantastique¨which was the perfect sentiment after seeing that amazing whale!

The ambiance on our tour was great, the guide would give some information in Spanish, one of the Aussies would translate it into English and then one of the French men would translate it into French. It was a friendly, cooperative and worldy atmosphere with all of those languages going on.

After leaving Pileta Cave we drove on through Andalusia, on our way back to Sevilla to drop off the car.

The entry to the cave
We passed through Arcos de la Frontera which is another beautiful town, perched on top of a hill with a large cathedral right in the middle. We stopped there for lunch and a few photos before heading on the tollway back to Sevilla.

Driving through Andalusia is well worth it, the roads are easy and the scenery is worth more time than we gave it. I recommend it for all who visit Spain!

Once we arrived in Sevilla we made our way to the train station to catch a train to Madrid.

The steep steps back down
The steep steps back down
Views of Andalusia
Views of Andalusia
Arcos de la Frontera
All of the restaurants have their …
All of the restaurants have their…
Ronda