AsiaJapanTokyo

2010 04 23 - Tokyo day 1

Tokyo Travel Blog

I didn't do much this day. I slept untill the early afternoon, took care of all my wet stuff, did laundry and looked online for things to do in Tokyo. Then I got to know some of the other hostel residents. There was a German accordeon player that was staying in the hostel for months, making money on the streets. He was very caring about the environment and his personal health and he introduced me to Nato (a fermented soya-bean that smells bad, but makes a good breakfast combined with white rice). There was another German that had lost his money and was worried about getting home the next day. He still had his passport and plane-ticket and only had to travel 200 km from the German airport to his house. I gave him all the hitchhiking tips I could and told him about my "lost passport/driverslicense/money in California experience" which made him feel a lot better about his misfortune. I later heard he made it home succesfully, by hitchhiking. And I got to know a traveller that had been in a worse situation than me on a mountain on Hokkaido. He had gotten stuck in the snow and had lost all feeling in his feet to the point that even now he still didn't feel much anymore. He gave me great travelling tips for Hokkaido and I gave him all the tips he needed to make it up to Mount Fuji (mostly: avoid getting lost, climb in good weather). Just before midnight I was starting to feel at home in the hostel untill I realised that I had only left it to get food. At that moment two Scandinavian women came in asking if anyone was coming with them to get some drinks at a great bar (according to Lonely Planet)...
Tokyo