Coolest Job I've Ever Been On

Saint Louis Travel Blog

1-64 was being reconstructed through St. Louis.  Egyptian Concrete had the bridge jobs, and Dad delivered a few of them.  It worked out that one day, I was able to go with him, and I am SOOO glad I did.

Having to get up at 3 AM so that we could leave Salem by 4 so that we could beat morning rushhour traffic in St. Louis, we were on the jobsight right at 6, beating even the sun.  64 was completely closed between Kingshighway and 170, so as traffic diverted onto Kingshighway, we took the construction entrance and drove on the dirt that should be Interstate 64.

We were delivering bridge beams for one of the overpasses.  We joined the other trucks and waited for the foreman.  Once it was our turn, we backed into the hole; I couldn't help pull chains because I wasn't allowed out of the truck (silly contractor and OSHA regulations).  It wasn't long before we were unloaded and on our way back to the Illinois side of the river.  It was then that I finally realized where we were, just exactly where I-64 should be.  It was really cool to be on the dirt, driving by the Science Center.

I am so incredibly glad that I got up at 3 AM to go.  I have gone countless times with Dad and this is by far the coolest job I've ever been on.

Dr_Seuss says:
I like the sun. Don't see the point in rising before it ;)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2010
geerbox says:
My family owned a trucking company, where I worked and was part owner. I drove and when I was younger I went with my grandfather on trips!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2010
iramalama says:
cool opportunity
Posted on: Apr 13, 2010
the beam from the inside of the tr…
the beam from the inside of the t…
unloading our beam