DESTINation: Florida

Destin Travel Blog

I was graduating college, and I'd never taken a Spring Break trip or anything of the sort.  All I wanted to do was go to Florida and enjoy a few days on the beach.  I told my sister that I'd pay for the hotel (using graduation money) if she'd pay the rest of her way.

We headed down on a Saturday evening, after I got off work (and just days after I'd gotten home from a two-week Europe trip).  We got to Destin late afternoon the next day.  We checked into our hotel, the Ramada Inn, and got a first floor room, which I will never do again, if I can keep from it.  We hadn't been there very long at all when a young guy enters our room; the housekeeper let him in, supposedly his friends had just checked out.

He was surprised to see us, but he had to go to the bathroom immediately, struck with the runs apparently.  We talked with his friend who was waiting for him; I really think it was a harmless situation, he really was embarrassed, but it still made me wonder just who the housekeeping staff would let into any room.

I had planned different things for us to do. We went to the Gulfarium in Fort Walton Beach, which is an aquarium where the dolphins perform as well as other sea shows.  And, Emily wanted to go over to Panama City, to get a 'Dirty Dick's' seafood t-shirt, because she likes that sort of thing.  So we spent an afternoon trying to find this place.  One evening, we went to Fudpucker's for the Gatorbeach exhibit, which I was severely disappointed in, and Emily refused to pose with the alligator.

We actually only spent one afternoon at the beach.  The sand was amazing white powder, and the water was gorgeos.  But, Emily burns easily, through 75 SPF sunblock and she was already red.  So much for a beach vacation.

We checked out of the hotel a day early.  We'd both had our fill of vacation (and each other).  We left Destin early morning Wednesday, and rather than go the way we came, we went somewhat out of our way to go through Mississippi and Arkansas, just to go to these states. (At this point, I'd been to just about as many countries as I had states).  We drove straight through, 13 hours, only stopping for gas and to drive thru Mickey D's in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.   And that was our vacation.