Malacca

Malacca Travel Blog

On first inspections Melacca was more modern than I was anticipating. A modern mega mall and surrounding outlets underneath and around the newly constructed grass recreational square were a central beacon of how far Malacca has come since its traditional Port Town days of old. This modern small city continues to grow, as land is almost constantly being reclaimed like the Arab city area.

I liked Malacca, I warmed to it almost immediately and I went out and about at my leisure and soaked up the atmosphere it offered. I even went local with the food and stopped at one of the eatery's on one of the promenades underneath the grass square (excuse my ignorance at what the place was called, please feel free to correct me).

Fenix Inn Hotel

After wandering the town I headed for the revolving sky tower ride. Having only limited time in Malacca, I wanted to see as much of the city as possible and had decided to do a Duck Tour (which I had seen on my way into the city) or to do the sky tower thing.  Having already been the KL and been up the impressive KL Tower, I felt that the miniture Melacca version would be somewhat of an anti climax?  I ventured in that direction anyway wondering where on earth I d be able to get the duck tour. To my amazement, when I arrived at the Tower, a duck tour was parked and ready to depart. I paid my money and hopped aboard with about 20+ Sri Lankan / Indian Malaysian school children all aged between 13 and 15.

As I climbed on they all looked rather amazed to see me and I was met with hand shakes and offers of seats.  I declined a little unsure of the reception and sat at the back of the anphibeous machine. The children started to ask me where I was from and how I came to be in Malaysia. How I could afford such a trip, what did I do for a living and everything including what colour my toothbrush was? ha-ha.  I grew to like these kids along the tour and offered them my bandana to try on. They loved it and were all pulling Ali G poses.

When the tour got underway, there was a good insight into the history of the place and the modern day buildings.  We left land around the recent and still under construction Arab city and entered the Straits of Malacca sea. We passed the impressive floating Mosque, a small fishermans boat (who waved at the children) and passed the jetty area, before going back on land at the Malacca eye (a small version of Londons Millenium Eye ferris wheel).

We passed the maritime museam also which housed a replica of an old Bounty style ship. The tour was quite brief and I enjoyed it and I got to see a lot more of Melacca than I thought I would.

That night, the tour guide took us for dinner and we had a wonderful meal at a place that name escapes me. However, there was a host of food in various styles and also the benefit of 'Big Foot' Beer. This was Tiger beer (mmmmm my favourite) in a Stein glass. My fellow colleagues decided to suprise me with a presentation (with a few kind words) with a new 'Tiger' beer vest.  I was touched that my fellow Tiger boys had thought of me on their latest daily excurssion and bought me such a gift. I had taught them the ways of Tiger beer after all, in much the same way as Obi Wan Kenobi taught Luke Skywalker  ha-ha.

Not sure what this is called?
My Irish friend in the group even had a go at playing to the rest of the restaurant, a tune on the piano which was great.   After evening meal we ventured down the Jonker Street night market wgich was pretty impressive despite a number of tacky souveniers on display. I did buy our guide a  ' I LOVE THAILAND' t-shirt to which she was highly appreciative as she was Thai and given thatit was unusual to see we were in Melacca, Malaysia.   Suprise Suprise, we ended up finishing the night off at a Pub, the Geographer cafe (good bar, good atmosphere) on Joonker Street to be exact, where I endulged in some Salsa lessons from another one of my fellow travellers.

I really like Malacca, it is the kind of place that may not look much on first impressions, but it has a very kind and welcoming feel to it.  It is true Malaysia, a mix of new and old which is a breath of fresh air.

mgradwell says:
Could not agree more my friend
Posted on: Jan 20, 2011
Stigen says:
Melacca is a breath of fresh air after KL
Posted on: Jan 20, 2011
Duck Tour
Duck Tour
Floating Mosque
Floating Mosque
Fisherman we passed along the Stra…
Fisherman we passed along the Str…
Malacca Eye
Malacca Eye
Maritime museam
Maritime museam
Me and the Big Foot beer, Easy !!
Me and the Big Foot beer, Easy !!
Melacca Rickshaws
Melacca Rickshaws
Tiger Boys
Tiger Boys
Salsa and Caharlston lessons in th…
Salsa and Caharlston lessons in t…
Malacca Hotels & Accommodations review
This is a really comfortable place and I was very happy with the location and the comfortable rooms. I did not eat here but with free internet wi-fi f… read entire review
Malacca