Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

Having only had about a 4 or 5 hour sleep on the Plane, I arrived in Bangkok. The airport was pretty impressive and I managed immigration and collected my baggage pretty ok.  I was a little lost on how best to get to my hotel but I finally decided to get a nice bright pink taxi. If I had negotiated a fair of 400 baht like the driver was trying to do, then I would have saved myself probably 70 baht or so, but I was overly suspicious of this very nice taxi driver and so requested that he put it on a metre. We set off and he spoke little or no english but we managed to communicate and he ever so nicely put some local music on his tape cassette for me to sample. It was quite nice tbh and it gave me a little more satisfaction that I had arrived.

The taxi driver took the expressway and so asked me to pay the expensive toll charges much to my shock? Going back to what I had said, if I had agreed a 400 baht price in the first instance then he would have paid that for me, instead I added to the bill with my suspicions lol.  The taxi driver also proceded toshow me pictures of himself on one of his 3 phones, and these pics showed him as one of the protesting red shirts.  The very red shirts that had the foreign and commonwealth office (FCO) so worried, that they advised all British citizens against all but essential travel the day before I was due to fly.  I ignored that advice of course and am glad I did.  As time would show, these advise notifications were a slight over reaction.
view from my hotel balcony
Anyway I digress, the taxi driver procedes to take photos of Thai army trucks heading toward the protest area, and then sends the picture off to I can only presume are his friends, via picture message.

I arrive at my hotel, the Grand China Princess on China Town and was met with a warm welcome. The room was nice and the view was breathtaking from the balcony. I felt as though I had arrived in Asia when I soaked up the view and the heat. I took a few photos and then had a shower. I then wandered around China Town in Bangkok which was pretty busy and pretty impressive. I meandered through the narrow streets and all of the street hawker food sellers which smelled devine.  The very essence of Bangkok was starting to soak into my skin from the feet up.

Hotel Room
  I stopped at a local shop and had a cheap Chang beer for 85 baht (about £1.60) and then went onto Koh San Road via hotel taxi.  I was not sure about the tuk tuks just yet, but would grow to love them as time went on.

I had agreed to meet my friend Loren from Trav buddy and her friends in Koh San Road and eventually  we met up. Loren was with her room mate Sheri (a delightful and pretty girl from Hong Kong), Bree from Canada and Gareth and Paul from the UK. We had a great night and my romance with tuk tuks blossomed later in the evening as we egged on 2 tuk tuk drivers to race each other through the deadly streets of Bangkok. Formula 1 tuk tuk is the way forward wahoo!!!!

I returned to my hotel via taxi a little later and a little drunker than anticipated and was sound asleep within seconds.

I was due to check out at 12 the next day, but a combination of drink and jetlag combined to a 1pm sleep in, oh dear.  No extra charges were put upon me thankfully and now I was going to try and find my way in blistering heat to my new hotel where I would meet up with the GAP Adventures tour group at the Hotel de Moc. It was a bad idea choosing to walk and follow my pre printed google map as Bangkok would turn out to be one city I just could not get my sense of direction.  "TAXI  !!!! "

Grand China Princess hotel