Home Again.......... Back to the Garden

Eureka Travel Blog

 › entry 8 of 12 › view all entries
The daisy bed.... We put the batchlor buttons in the back corner...

WE'RE BAAAACCCCKKK                                    

After 6 weeks in China, David and I got home in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  We spent Saturday with our very ill dog who passed away that evening.  (she had stayed with my parents while we were gone)  On monday we finally got to the gardens.  It was amazing to see how many weeds had grown.  Apparently during the time we were gone only my hairdresser KayeLynne watered the garden.  She tried to weed also but it was just too much for one person.  It rained a great deal while we were gone so that further stopped any flower production.

I trimmed off the huge overhang of these godetias... They'll grow straight now...

 After we got there on Monday we spent the next 3 days weeding and weeding and weeding.  We found many of the pansys had died but most of the other plants were fine.  (just covered with weeds.)  We transplanted the batchlor buttons to the back of the daisy bed.  One thing we hadn't counted on was the volume of flowers that were stolen.  In one bed alone there were 6 holes in another there were 7.  I stopped counting at that point because the bottom line was we could do nothing about it and we just needed to move on..... and so we did. 

We transplanted some of the daisys to fill the five holes left by the flower-nappers.  We moved around a few other plants to fill in the holes.  It still needed some more.

The bed before we transplanted and replanted the batchlor buttons..
  We transplanted the remaining pansies from three rows to one and purchased petunias to fill in the second and third rows.  We planted more cosmos and got gloriosa daisies to fill in the larger planter.   We planted snapdragons in the back of the shasta daisy bed.  We fertilized all of the flowers.   We have been as busy as bees . 

THE REST OF THE GARDEN AREA                        

There was so much work to be done!  We decided we would just take it one by one and not let it overwhelm us.  We weeded the day liliy and dahlia beds.

looking from the gazebo ...
  The weeds in the day lilies were taller than I am (that would be 5 foot 6 and an eighth).  When we pulled the weeds we were astonished to see the brave little lilies blooming away!   We cut the invasive weeds along the back areas.  The original plants could see the light of day again!... We also cleared and swept the sidewalks.  It really looks like a garden that is loved now......Our idea from the beginning was to improve and  enhance the entire garden so people could enjoy it as a whole and not have just one portion planted and cared for.  It is hard work but it is rewarding.  

Our little zoo had 500 visitors on June 15 .... and many of the visitors walked over to the garden with their cameras....  People posed their children in front of the flowers and we even had a graduate come in her gown to have her picture taken!...... hooray! 

More pictures to follow..... after a week of sun and care there are tons of flowers now..... but my camera batteries were gone so I need to charge them and photograph tomorrow.....  The improvement in just 10 days is amazing!!!!

sylviandavid says:
We expected a few stolen plants but the number was quite impressive.... so we just went on....hoping who ever it is has their garden now so it will be OK now..... I'll post this weeks pictures tomorrow... lots of blooms now.... Sylvia
Posted on: Jun 18, 2010
Sunflower300 says:
I would not have expected plant-nappers either, what a shame. Great work you have both done. Maybe there is some way you can set up a donation tin or something. Of course, you would have to protect it somehow from the thieves, but if you put some sort of plaque up to say it is a volunteer project, some of the visitors might be willing to donate some coins. Even in the well somehow, who knows, and if you had a palque, you could also ask for other volunteers, there might be other people in the community willing to help.
Posted on: Jun 18, 2010
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
The daisy bed.... We put the batch…
The daisy bed.... We put the batc…
I trimmed off the huge overhang of…
I trimmed off the huge overhang o…
The bed before we transplanted and…
The bed before we transplanted an…
looking from the gazebo ...
looking from the gazebo ...
look at those weeds... they are go…
look at those weeds... they are g…
Drat... they read the lable and go…
Drat... they read the lable and g…
Daisy thieves.... brought some fro…
Daisy thieves.... brought some fr…
One of the problems that needed to…
One of the problems that needed t…
weeded and transplanted... more pi…
weeded and transplanted... more p…
A few shots of fertilizer will get…
A few shots of fertilizer will ge…
lots of green but need fertilizer …
lots of green but need fertilizer…
Quite a few flowers but fertilizer…
Quite a few flowers but fertilize…
front garden with a few holes from…
front garden with a few holes fro…
The front garden
The front garden
the plot by the gazebo
the plot by the gazebo
Brookes memorial.... we need more…
Brooke's memorial.... we need mor…
viewing it from the back
viewing it from the back
in the 6 weeks we were gone the be…
in the 6 weeks we were gone the b…
our sad few alyssums ... we bought…
our sad few alyssums ... we bough…
Yellow margarites....
Yellow margarites....
We transplanted the tall batchlor …
We transplanted the tall batchlor…
Front garden ...
Front garden ...
day lily
day lily
day lily garden
day lily garden
The day lily garden ... these weed…
The day lily garden ... these wee…
The garden.... green but needs flo…
The garden.... green but needs fl…
We are going to shine the memorial…
We are going to shine the memoria…
Someone put in this Dahlia bed... …
Someone put in this Dahlia bed...…
Eureka
photo by: sylviandavid