8.2.10 Hanover to East Hartford, CT

East Hartford Travel Blog

8.2.10 Hanover to Hartford travel guide">East Hartford, CT

Running around Hanover on my little trip down memory lane was tremendous fun!  We enjoyed the towns of Hanover, Norwich, Quechee, and Woodstock.  Here are some of the sights that made the list:

Hanover Main Street – Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream for lunch, Lou’s Bakery, Dartmouth Bookstore, and the Hanover Inn

Norwich- Dan & Whit’s General Store, King Arthur’s Flour store

Quechee- The Gorge, covered bridge, and Simon Pearce Glassblowing with live action

Woodstock- Main Street with the Woodstock Inn

Dartmouth- The Library, Occom Pond, Sachem Village, the Medical Center where Jazy was born, and Tuck Business School.

At Tuck, we found Daddy’s class picture on the wall and got the blessing at the front desk to show the kids around.

In no less than 5 minutes, I had us completely locked out of the building!  No kidding.  We were stuck between a locked stairwell that we’d just exited and a locked gate, for which no student passing by had a key.  Acck!  So finally, in spite me wearing a skirt, we jumped over the fence!  Now, that is just not dignified.

Finally, after a full day of fun, we drove down nice I-91 South to Hartford, CT.  Since we could not find any campgrounds nearby, we headed for the Cabela’s in East Hartford, which offered a free dump station and fresh water, nicely landscaped, etc.  Awesome, right?

Except the city around there was rather scary.  Cabela’s store area seemed fine (right by the enormous Pratt & Whitney Factory buildings) and after assurances from them that security cameras covered the RV area, we stayed there alone, but for a few employee cars.

It was already dark and our options were few.  Wandering around in that city at night seemed like a bad idea.  I called Ned, asked him what he knew about East Hartford, and expressed my concern for the area.

Fast forward to morning:  We arose at 7:30 am and after shopping in Cabela’s, we headed out, only to learn that multiple murders (9) had occurred at 7:30 am about 5 miles away.  FIVE MILES!  Scary!

We were a little stressed trying to determine a route out of East Hartford without knowing where the murderer was at the time and to avoid police blockades.

That is now 3 times that I’ve been within 1.5 hours and 5 miles from multiple shooting sprees!:  Seattle I-5, Fort Hood, and now CT.  Yikes!  And people are worried about Mexico?

But on this day, we’d had a full, fun day and safely slept in a welcoming location.  That’s a positive note!

East Hartford