8.1.10 Acadia to Hanover, NH

Hanover Travel Blog

8.1.10 Acadia to Hanover, NH

We’re in Hanover, New Hampshire!  It was a long drive across Maine to halfway up along the Vermont/NH border.

We decided to skip Boston since it is an easy city to explore by a flight there, but difficult by RV. Instead, we’re seeing things that are more difficult to see via a flight, but easy by RV!  Also, my patience cup ran low dealing with Boston drivers just on the interstate here.  We think we made an excellent decision.

So we left Acadia NP via a coastal Maine route Hwy 1, which this time DID involve seeing some gorgeous ocean.

There were lovely little towns along the way which begged for our return:  Seaport and Camden come to mind.  Lovely campgrounds in State Parks, gracious colonial mansions, colorful cafes and shops, and sparkling water from the ocean, rivers, and lots of lakes.  Gorgeous!

Fort Knox looked like a fortress on rock, high above the river as we crossed by a cool, singe-middle support line bridge.  I'd love to stay at the Fort Knox State Park and explore it.

Blueberries were again obtained roadside by a woman who had helped rake them this very morning.  The kids were scheming to get some for Grandma Dent, show her the recipes flier, and then see if she didn't come to the conclusion that a blueberry baking treat was in order!  But upon watching the rate of disappearance of those blueberries by her sister, Jazy shook her head and bemoaned, "I don't think those blueberries are going to make it to Grandma."

Freeport, Maine absolutely required a stop at LL Bean, which has grown into five different LL Bean buildings and a factory outlet.  The surrounding outlets looked tempting, but repeatable elsewhere, so we skipped them.  A Shakespearean Festival with costumed characters was starting on the lawn under a tent.

The weather has been verifiably perfect with mid-70’s, clear sunshine, puffy clouds and light breeze.  It felt like an advertisement for a Maine summer.

We took Route 4 (excellent) from I-293 (busy) and passed by a Camping World!  It seemed so out of the blue, but we managed to get our wits about us and whip Ciao back around to it.  Like a moth to flame!

Finally we made it to Ned’s and my old stomping ground in Hanover, NH!  We had dinner at Lui Lui’s with brick oven pizza and are overnighting at the Walmart here in West Lebanon.  There are three other campers here and the store closes a midnight.  It’s a pretty nice place.

Tomorrow, I plan to show Jazy the hospital where she was born and we’re going to visit all the many fun things that I’ve wanted to show them since Ned and I lived here 15 years ago.  He and I will be back for his school reunion in October, but it’s the first time the kids have been old enough to enjoy and remember it.

I am so excited to be here!  A wonderful jaunt down memory lane!

Hanover