7.21.10 Twinkling Twillingate

Twillingate Travel Blog

7.21.10 Twinkling Twillingate

Fabulous day today! We drove the 20 minutes to Twillingate. Steve and Evelyn had kindly snagged a serviced site ($25 cash only) for us at their Payton Woods Campground in town.

We explored the main attractions of quaint Twillingate:

1. Museum and Craft Store - very interesting old house with rooms filled with various donated objects related to the town’s history (donation) - found Lia’s favorite book about the Newfie dog there (Star of the Storm).

2. Longpoint Lighthouse - Beautiful views, but no whales to be seen. Renovations of the lighthouse meant we could not go all the way up to it. Nice gift shop- got a Christmas polar bear and fudge!

3. Aukland Winery- made with iceberg water and local berries. Wine names like Moose Joose and Funky Puffin- awesome!

4. Local seafood shop- bought some fresh king crab legs and frozen shrimp, scallops, and cod cheeks

Then we enjoyed relaxing in the sun and socializing with Evelyn and Steve. Ahhh, so nice to spend time with friends. Lots of laughing, king crab legs, wine, and Steve made a delicious dinner for us all (Evelyn’s broken foot is hampering her fun). It was an awesome time!

Another Lazy Daze is here! Carolyn and Shirley from Washington State are here with the Adventure Caravan. Their RV, Daisy, is another twin of Ciao, but about 15 years newer. We’ve only seen 2 LD’s the entire trip and they’ve both been Ciao twins- one on Labrador and then here.

We also saw some folks from the Western Brook Pond boat tour who passed us and said, “Texas!” before we recognized them. Fortunately, I remembered they were from Ontario, so I recovered.

Twillingate is small, very beguiling, but not a wealthy as I’d imagined. Given the number of tourists headed here, I expected a Mahone Bay, NS or Lunenberg, NS feel, but it is much more humble than that. Houses are quaint, the sea is gorgeous, but trucks roar through the small one-road curved town. It is an interesting, vibrant small town.

The surrounding areas appear to really be hurting with shuttered businesses. I learned today that a 1992 Canadian federal government law that put a moratorium on cod fishing by individuals which absolutely devastated the economy here, but commercial fishing is still allowed. I do hope efforts by the province’s Premier can help rectify the situation.

I expected, but do not see, outdoor activities related to the festival other than a hillside sign. Perhaps after the 11am parade and 1pm sad funerals tomorrow things will move forward. There are more activities planned for the weekend and we are just happy relaxing, enjoying the beauty of this unique little place, and soaking in the wonderful sunshine!
Twillingate