6.30.10 Bathurst to Kouchibouguac NP, NB

Richibucto Travel Blog

Pretty New Brunswick drive south on Hwy 11

6.30.10 Bathurst to Kouchibouguac NP, NB

A beautiful day today!  The sun began shining as we headed south for the National Park.

We got a lovely campground in a huge Canadian NP.  It was $19.80 for a family pass into the park.  Then another $31 for camping, so we are staying only one night.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kouchibouguac_National_Park

Besides, the 46 electric sites are booked tomorrow.  Tomorrow, July 1st, is Canada Day which is like our 4th of July.

This lovely NP is known for its wonderful beaches and bike trails.  So, guess what we did?  Yes, we biked to the beach!

The powdery sand on the beach, warm sunny skies, and light wind made for perfect sunbathing.

My afternoon view

If these ocean waters are indeed the proclaimed, “Warmest water north of Virginia,” then I shiver to think of the water in between the two locations!  Good night!  It was too cold for more than a toe dip!

But we lazed away the afternoon, enjoyed hot showers at the bathhouse, and prepared a nice dinner with our electric.  Tonight, we’ll use the electric heater instead of propane.

Our propane refilling today with 15 liters cost $21 and was from 5 days of use.  So we figure the fridge, hot water, and heater run about $4 a day when boondocking.

Heater?  Yes, it gets mighty chilly in the evenings.  We set the thermostat on 70 and the heat keeps us from freezing.  Air conditioner is not necessary up here.  In fact, I don’t think we’ve used it since, well, maybe Arkansas.

We’re really looking forward to seeing Ned in a few days in Halifax.  We’re just 4 hours or so from there now, Lord willing!

Pretty New Brunswick drive south o…
Pretty New Brunswick drive south …
Richibucto