Summer Fun - planning!

Houston Travel Blog

Note:  This is Page 1 of our Summer 2010 RVing blog to Atlantic Canada.

Here are our daily blogs and a maphttp://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/70450/summary

If you're looking for the 2008-2009 World Tour blogs (RVing to Alaska, Mexico, Central America, and Europe), they're here:  http://www.travbuddy.com/TessaHill/blogs

************

ETD:  June 6th - 2 months and counting!

Yahoo!  We're leaving in early June, hitting New England and then Atlantic Canada, returning home by mid-August ("Lord willing"- always included when talking about Ciao taking us anywhere, though she's never failed us).

The funniest thing happened today at a kid's horseback lesson:

"So," I said to my friend, Janice, "I'm going to run off to Canada this summer! Do you know the difference between Atlantic Canada and the Canadian Maritimes?" Janice attempted it, but I'm an expert now since I read the entire introduction in Moon's "Atlantic Canada."

Do you know? I'll tell you at the end.

There are only 2 other people within 100 yards, sitting right in front of us. They turn around and smile, "We're from Newfoundland! We just flew in yesterday."

How weird is that??? Can you imagine flying thousands of miles to southern Texas, only to hear all about your home?!

Fortunately, they said I was correct on my naming distinction and did not make a fool of myself (this time). They gave wonderful suggestions of
things to do and eat, particularly cod's tongue (who knew fish had a tongue?!) and suggested I say "understand Newfoundland" to get the proper cadence and pronunciation. They laughed to think "yuum's" (spelling?) is their version of "y'all." Small world!

Okay, ready for the quiz answer:

Canadian Maritimes include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI (Prince Edward Island). Atlantic Canada includes those 3 provinces PLUS the
province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Newfoundland and Labrador comprise just ONE province. So there are 4 provinces total in Atlantic Canada. Ta Da!

Can't wait!  Ready for adventure in lovely Canada!

TessaHill says:
Thanks so much, Coolermama!
Tessa
Posted on: Jun 07, 2010
coolermama says:
Hmmm... should have added the Murphy's is in N.S.
Posted on: May 08, 2010
coolermama says:
Murphy's on the Ocean Campground is not well known and is fabulous! Not fancy - no pool, very minimal playground but oceanfront camping at affordable prices! They are also incredibly friendly and helpful people who will take you on a boat to get mussels, etc.
Posted on: May 08, 2010