More building up of travelling urge

Brussels Travel Blog

After the first World Championship, the idea of a really big adventure had gotten into my head again. The next World Championship would be in Asia and I wanted to go there by car, visiting as many places on my way as possible. Unfortunately the tournament was then changed to Germany, just across the border so that plan was cancelled.

Instead I decided to spend some money and vacation days on a "Around the world trip" with tournaments and travel in California (USA), Jakarta (Indonesia) and Stockholm (Sweden). I completely fell in love with Asia and knew that I wanted to take a big trip there in the "not to far future".

Normally such things become dreams for after retirement, but soon I was at a tournament in Brussels and met Sachi. She had gotten a Fellowship that allowed her to travel all across the world for a year to make a documentary about ... speedcubers. This put the idea of making such a trip myself (but "only" for 3 months) in my head very firmly and I actually started thinking about the possibility to really do that. After meeting Sachi 2 more times in Germany and Holland I knew it would just be a matter of time before I was going to do what she was doing. Only I had 10 years of extra ties to Holland, friends, my house, and especially work and my dog in my life.
photo by: Vlindeke