Arriving into DC

Washington Travel Blog

pretty green bridge!
The planning for the meetup wasn't super-structured or strict, so a lot of us just winged the whole transportation/accommodation thing with great results! I didn't know if I was coming in via the Acela or the cheaper bus alternative. I changed my hotel around a couple of times to get closer to where some of the meetup places were. Funny thing about a place like DC with such a high tourist population is that you can find a hotel ANYWHERE, which makes it all the harder to figure out where you want to be or what the best deal might be.

Was super excited to go back and see DC as I hadn't been here since the 5th grade. Chatting with Andy, Jethanand, Ian and Carole - I was very much looking forward to this trip. Also had a few friends there I was supposed to meet with in case there was downtime.
huge Chinatown gate
As per true Travbuddy style though, any downtime was spent unconscious and only for a few hours at a time! =)

I ended up taking the MVP bus from Penn station, which I arrived at super late but was lucky enough to secure the last seat on the bus - in the jumpseat next to the driver! The first thing the driver said to me was "you speak Chinese?" Haha, I hope he wasn't going to talk to me the whole time! Turns out he spoke Cantonese so I was safe to sleep. The jumpseat was the best view on the bus with the open road right in front of you. You could see bridges and buildings with no obstruction whatsoever!

There was bad traffic right after Baltimore which is a sad, sad sight, at least along the street we drove in. Tons of dilapidated homes with boarded up doors, graffiti and broken windows.
our first Metro ride!
There were no stores along the street save some fried chicken places and some dentist offices. Lots of single moms in poor health on the streets dragging their little children around and people just hanging around on the streets. Why wasn't anyone working at 2pm on a Friday??

Arrived safely in Chinatown and passed under the prettiest chinatown gate I've seen in any major city. Surprisingly no chinese restaurants nearby, only a big Hooters sign and some banks! Oh well, we'll wander around later.

Checked in easily and quickly, called Carole to let her know I arrived, and showered. I hadn't eaten since the night before so I ventured out to find something cheap. It would turn out that save Ben's Chili Bowl, nothing we ate in DC would be cheap =( I found a sign that said DimSum on the other side of the hotel that looked fancy and knew that would hit the spot.
The White House - from the front
But I had no idea how amazing the food would be and how cute and sweet the people that worked there would be. I sat down and there was a dimsum happy hour! Wow, I could definitely get used to DC - what an amazing restaurant, food and service!

Carole arrived shortly after I finished eating and we got ready to walk over to the Capital Brewing company. I clearly can not live without my Droid, I used it everytime we left the building to navigate where we wanted to go, even if it was only 2 blocks away =)

We arrived and this place was PACKED solid! I looked around for a familiar face but didn't see one. I called up Mark and turns out they were upstairs - yay! We arrive and see the cheerful faces of Mark, Lena, Bill and Lola. A few hugs later and we got to chatting up a storm! Mike arrived a few minutes later and it would turn out to just be the 7 of us for dinner, as Shannon and Chris joined us after dinner.
group shot!

Mark and Lena were nice enough to offer to walk us around the Washington Memorial. Washington DC is so romantic at night. The streets are empty, the monuments are lit up, and the air is cool. We saw the White House - both from the front and back, we saw the American Bar Association building, and a ton of other gorgeous buildings that really rivaled Europe in terms of awe and grandeur. Our feet were supremely sore by the time we parted ways with Mark, Mike, Lola and Lena around 11:20pm, but what a GREAT time it was walking around DC at night!

Shannon hadn't eaten yet, and I was still on a bit of a high from the wonderful food at Ping Pong (the dimsum place). I spyed a happy hour dessert menu after 11, so I asked if the rest of the group that was left if they wanted to come to get some food/desserts. We all went and I think everyone ate very happily. Once again, lovely staff, we got a couple of items on the house, and tasted some amazing lychee sorbet! We left close to 1am and went back to our hotels, which were all within 2 blocks of each other - unplanned! nice =)
jethanad says:
You are fortunate - DC by night !
keeweeset says:
I'm so glad I decided to attend this meet-up. I had such a great time! =)
alicegourmet says:
Glad that you had a great time with the group...and found some cheap dim sum! :)
group shot!
for all the NPR lovers =)
for all the NPR lovers =)
Carole and I re-meet on the right …
Carole and I re-meet on the right…
Mark and Bill want to get in our s…
Mark and Bill want to get in our …
self shot on the metro!
self shot on the metro!
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
more White House
more White House
American Bar Association!
American Bar Association!
Lena and Mark - our GREAT hosts!
Lena and Mark - our GREAT hosts!
Washington