Labor and Economy

Butzbach Travel Blog

The greatest thing about travel is that one is constantly absorbing things about indigent culture.  Whether it is learning of local politics through conversations, or hearing the hottest topics of debate on the tele, or simply learning about the importance of certain staples in local diet • travel is a constant learning process.

I arrived in Germany on Labor day.  My 30 minute drive from Frankfurt airport to my hometown of Woelfersheim, had me passing through a couple villages.  On a fruitless search for a bouquet of flowers for my grandmother, I eventually found one at a roadside gas station • the only business open on Labor Day.  During my drive I was listening to a local radio station, trying to catch up on the last year’s happenings.  The topic of the day was the unemployment rate in Germany.  According to the reporter, the numbers had seen improvement at under 4 million.  Staggering figure considering the entire country is the size of Montana.

The population continues to grow, compounded by this nation taking in so many refugees.  On my last visit, my family and friends were often discussing the country’s need to make amends for past digressions.  Hence, asylum seekers and refugees are granted passage and given not only safe haven, but money and a home.  This is certainly no comparison to the state of Mexican immigration in the US.  In Germany, refugees need to provide valid reasons and/or documentation that they are under duress due to politics or war.  Once this has been established, they want for nothing.
hannajax says:
Thank you, all. I am lucky to be able to pen my thoughts so succinctly...
Posted on: Mar 03, 2011
nyprne says:
Congratulations on your feature. Amazing photographs suplemented by intelligent literary details. Well deserved.
Posted on: Mar 02, 2011
Chokk says:
Congratz on the feature ;-)
Posted on: Mar 02, 2011