Museums and Old Ankara

Ankara Travel Blog

Old Ankara

Woke up in a beautiful bedroom of an old Ottoman Mansion, our hotel was one of the nicest yet.  Breakfast wasn’t so flash and I ended giving half of mine to Zehra! Outside the hotel was more quaintness our narrow cobbled lane flanked by old Ottoman buildings it was so nice.  We headed to the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations as we read it was excellent.  The museum was large and very impressive and housed artefacts including ancient Neolithic, Bronze Age through to Hittite and Assyrian civilisations as well as Greek and Roman.  There were displays of pottery, weapons, jewellery, copper, iron and tin, statues, carved stone slabs and much more. It was chronologically ordered from early prehistoric through to the later ages.  Outside the in the gardens were numerous large pots, we spent a couple of hours in this museum it was truly impressive.  Following our time at the museum we needed to find a bank and the nearest was down a steep hill through the market, once we were cashed up then it was back up the steep hill which wasn’t much fun!  We went back into the Citadel walls close to our hotel and explored a few shops and made a few purchases.  We had lunch in the courtyard of an old Ottoman home; a lady with the cutest dog caught our attention. She let us hold and cuddle the cute puppy and while we were enjoying our stuffed meatballs our cue little friend stared up at us with his big blue eyes!  Our next stop was a carpet shop where Zehra was nearly tempted to purchase a rug but she changed her mind at the last minute!  We dropped our shopping off at the hotel then we went to seek out the old Roman baths and the top of the Citadel. We wondered down very narrow streets where kids were playing, the houses were very old as they were inside the Citadel walls. We ended up outside the other gate and couldn’t find these Roman baths.  A park was opposite the Citadel walls and we met a man coming up the steps of the park and Zehra asked him if he knew where the Roman Baths were. He told her he was too a tourist and proceeded to walk with us as we headed back through the gate and back up towards the Citadel tower.  I thought he would be leaving us at some point but he continued to walk with us all the time chatting to Zehra.  I asked her why he was still attached to us and she said he was lonely!  Mmm I thought there were dating agencies for that sort of thing!!  All three of went up to the Citadel tower and from there we had good views of a castle and over the city of Ankara.  Most of the old town was where we were located; the rest of the city was modern and hardly a tree to be seen.  We gave up on trying to find the Roman baths so we went back to our hotel with the third wheel in tow!  I got my net book and logged on to the Internet while Zehra continued to chat with our friend who seemed at this point harmless enough and genuinely enjoyed our company.  Zehra went to phone her friends to see if they were available to meet up dinner and it was this point that our friend departed company.  Zehra’s friends picked us up about an hour later and took us to a nice restaurant on a lakeside about half hour outside the city.  Guray could speak good English so I spoke to Him while Zehra spoke to Buju.  Ankara evenings are chilly so the waiters brought us blankets to put around ourselves! We later moved to the outside open fire which was really nice.

Cute puppy in a cafe
  Guray then drove us back to their apartment for tea via some lovely posh suburbs which didn’t look much different than Chapel Street back home!  We spent the rest of the evening enjoying tea at Zehra’s friends before they drove us back to our hotel.

** Sadly I lost my small camera in Ankara so photo's here are Zehra's