EuropeItalyRome

Day 3

Rome Travel Blog

St. Peter's Basilica

I woke up at 6:00am when I heard two of my roommates leaving the room. If it wasn't for them I probablly would have missed the bus. The two guys from Colorado didn't wake the two of us up from Oklahoma and just started to proceed with their day. So, I got up and start hustling to get ready, so, I could eat at least a bowl of cereal before we headed out for the day. After I scarfed down my cereal I went and loaded up on the bus, where we sat and waited on a couple from Tennessee. Once we were all loaded up on the bus we headed back into Rome for our second full day in Rome. We got into Rome and stopped at the bottom of a two hundred step staircase. I looked at it and asked myself, how am I going to get to the top of them? I got off the bus and started running them.

Colosseum
At the top of the staircase was the walls of the Vatican City. As a group we skipped the group line and went over to the singles line and got into the museum within thirty minutes. Once we got in we met our local guide Maria. She took us through the museum and led us out onto a balcony where I saw St. Peter's Basilica. After we all took a few pictures, we headed into a room where we got a brief description of the Sistine Chapel. After the brief description we headed out into pinecone square, where I took some more pictures. Then we headed back inside and and started our way dow to the Sistine Chapel. We were walking through hallways that were covered in beautiful artwork. I walked by a rug that had  Jesus on it, as you walked by Jesus' eyes followed you.
The Roman Forum
 It seemed like it was the hallway was never going to end, and then finally we walked through a door, and I saw the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. When I walked into the Sistine Chapel, I was straight speechless. I wish the oictures I took came out but they didn't. After I spent about twenty minutes in the Sistine Chapel, we headed outside and filled our water bottles up from a fountain outside. Then we proceded to walk underground and had the oppurtunity to walk by the grave of Pope John Paul II, as well as, St. Peters grave. Then we came out and headed into St. Peter's Basilica. The size of this structure is undescribable, along with its beauty. After we spent about fourty-five minutes in St. Peter's Basilica we headed out side of the Vatican City.
Gates of the Vatican City
We stopped at the official Vatican gift shop, I wanted to to pick up and rosary, but the cheapest one I found was 25 Euros and I wasn't going to pay that. We headed to the nastiest, most overpriced reatraunt we ate at all trip long. After lunch we headed to the Colosseum. There is only one word to explain it Colossal. I can't believe I was standing in something that they movies about. I wish we could have spent more time inside of it. I was mad at myself, because I didn't take the picture of me acting like I was peeing on the Colosseum. After we left the Colosseum we walked through Via Dei Fori Imperiali, simply the Forum in Emglish. There were so many ruins there and I took some great pictures as we walked through. After we got done there we met back with Carolina. She gave us directions to our restraunt that we were eating at that night. Glenda, Terri, Alaina, and myself started our "twenty-five" minute walk to the restraunt. Yeah that twenty-five minute walk turned into a three hour walk. We made a few stops including the Hard Rock Cafe, the U.S. Embassy, and the Lamborghini store. We arived at La Baia around 7:00pm. We ate dinner and headed back to the hotel. Again, most of our group went to bed, and a few of us stayed up and talked. I went to bed around 1:00am.

St. Peters Basilica