Third day and I am still going strong!

New York Travel Blog

Heavy Billboard

I woke up extremely early Saturday morning; it was clear that my inner clock was still not adjusted to New York time yet. It was just before 6 am and I didn't feel like getting out and walk the street this early. Instead I turned on the TV; just to check out American TV. I surfed for a while and ended at a morning program on NBC which were being produced somewhere in the city centre.

One of the first things that caught my eyes was the forecast of the weather that exited my wildest dreams; the temperature was one going in one direction and that was up. It was going to be close to 25-28 degrees on the final days of my stay and I could not believe my luck.

In the sun

After this fantastic wake up, I was smiling all over my face. The morning program then continued on stories which mainly concentrated on abduction, weight loss and the unhealthy food in the fast food restaurants. Especially the last part got my attention and I was amazed about the sizes of the portions and the obese amount of calories the dishes contained; some of the displayed chicken dishes had more than 2000 calories, quite astonishing.

One other part of the show was being filmed in the streets just in front of the TV studios where loads of screaming people already were standing waving signs and hoping to get caught on TV. I have never understood how grown up people could act so stupid on TV, screaming like young teenage girls at a pop concert seeing their favourite artist for the first time.

High and mighty
Besides making a horrible noise they look completely ridiculous. After following the TV for a while I concentrated my focus on some of the books about New York that I had brought along; which turned out to be more valuable.

After a couple of hours I turned back to the TV and was pleasantly surprised that they showed football in the TV; it was not just any match but one between Manchester United and Chelsea. I decided to watch that while I was getting ready to leave the hotel. I had not made any appointments in the morning with Maxime. I knew that he wanted to go out shopping in the morning and especially searching after Japanese books that had his interest and there were loads of specialist shops in New York. We had made a deal to meet for lunch in Bryant Park around 1 pm and that was the only goal I had for the day.

I left the hotel after the match and started to walk up the 8th Avenue in order to find a place to enjoy some breakfast.

Wall of glass
The first couple of places didn't look that appetizing so I continued to walk. I passed Penn Station and was amazed at all the yellow cabs blocking the entrance. There were not that many people wanting a cab but I think it was due to the great sunshine that was welcoming the weekend.

I walked towards Time Square again and continue to Bryant Park where I had a large coffee and a sit down enjoying the sun and not at least the people in there. I saw Empire State Building form the Park and I totally enjoyed the view of the skyscrapers. When you have been walking the streets of Manhattan in the area of Time Square and your neck and feet are getting really tired you will appreciate a break in Bryant Park.

The park gives you some good view amongst them the central building of the New York Public Library which actually is situated in the park.

Empire State Building
I decided to walk to the Library and down 5th Avenue to the icon of New York; Empire State Building. Thinking about the age of this lady and how she still could stand there so strong was amazing.

I continued further down on 5th Avenue and ended at Madison Square Park where I sat down and enjoyed the sunshine on one of the benches placed on the intersection with Broadway. While I was sitting there one of the religious freaks of New York arrived on his bike that was having a huge Starts n’ Stripes on the back. He was wearing white USA socks, blue basketball shorts and a white t-shirt that stated Jesus is my friend and with cross. He drove towards a flag honouring our heroes and saluted.

After enjoying the guy I turned my concentration on The Flatiron Building, or Fuller Building as it was originally called.

In the Park
To me there is no doubt that this building is the most wonderful building in New York, and it is also considered to be one of the first skyscrapers ever built.

Upon completion in 1902 it was one of the tallest buildings in New York City. The building sits on a triangular island block at 23rd Street, Fifth Avenue, and Broadway, anchoring the south downtown of Madison Square.

I diced to walk back towards Bryant Park and this time walk along Broadway. Going back towards Time Square brought me to an area with loads of streets sellers and I enjoyed the colours and people crowding like an ants nest. I also passed Macy’s and their flower exhibition that to me looked like a mess and was totally disappointing.

Nobody is up
Nice and beautiful
Nice and beautiful
Where is King Kong?
Where is King Kong?
The most beautiful building in New…
The most beautiful building in Ne…
Jesus have a friend
Jesus have a friend
I know what I am doing
I know what I am doing
Art is out walking again!
Art is out walking again!
This is a beauty!!
Locked up in New York
Locked up in New York
New York crime scene
New York crime scene
Inside Macys and the flower show
Inside Macy's and the flower show
Flowers and people everywhere
The semi tall is my hotel
The semi tall is my hotel
New York Sights & Attractions review
The most beautiful building in New York
The Flatiron Building or Fuller Building as it was originally called is to me the most wonderful building in New York, and it is also considered to be… read entire review
New York Sights & Attractions review
A breathing hole
When you have been walking the streets of Manhattan in the area of Time Square and your neck and feet are getting really tired you will appreciate a b… read entire review
New York General Tips & Advice review
They are there all the time
I was taken by many things while I was staying in New York and decided quickly to document some of them with my camera. One of the things that rea… read entire review
New York