Feeling the pulse for the first time

New York Travel Blog

All blue and shiny

I entered the hotel that looked exactly as on google with at safety  construction around and over the main entrance. The day before I had been waiting for my plan from Stockholm to Copenhagen and I had spent my time on Google walking around in the streets near to the Hotel, so when the taxi driver was looking for the hotel I could actually guide him to the right place even that it was the first time I was in New York.

I entered the hotel; behind the counter a buzy female receptionist was managing everything with phones calling all the time. I told my name and she said welcome and for one night!! One night! I had booked for five nights, I said!

I had luckily printed out the reservation that I had made on bookings.

New York Bride
com; the receptionist took a copy of it and had to agknowledge that I was right and found me a room which I could stay in for the comming days. The mistake was quickly fixed and she would remember me for the rest of my stay which never is a bad thing.

I took the elevator up to the 4th floor and entered my room 401 at Comfort Inn in New York; I had made it and I was happy and not tired yet, it was almost like I had to do some fun.

The room was nice; it had a good size with a queen size bed, and fairly nice bathroom and I packed out fast in order to meet my friend Maxime that had decided to pick me up at the hotel. I told him to meet me at the Starbucks at 8th and 39th Street because I needed a cold coffee; I could not stay in the hotel I need to feel the puls of this great city.

I enjoyed sitting in Starbucks sipping in my coffee looking at the traffic and people walking by and suddenly Maxime was in front of me in the window.

Here I am!
I was happy to see him and I knew that we only had time for one beer before he was going to the Opera. He had invited me to join but I did not feel like siiting down after my flight.

We walked towards Time Square, which was the place I wanted to see as the first thing in New York; I had hoped to be here last New Year but here I was 3 months later. It was not bad.

We wanted to find a bar and have a beer but it is not as easy as we were use to in Brussels where we met some years earlier while I was working there; we went in to a sports bar and had a large Samuel Adams and talked; he had been here for almost a week and I was excited to hear his stories because he was really in to the culture.

Max left and I spent an hour walking in the fabulous light and noise of Time Square.

Getting ready for the night
I walked on for a couple of hours and ended up having dinner in a place called Hells Kitchen close to my hotel.

It was noisy place but it was fun to feel the pulse; some people were screaming to each other in order the communicate.

I enjoyed the sound; I could not even here was I was think even less what the sweet waitress was telling me about the today specials. I was just smiling at her and decided that I would go for two dishes from the menu instead. I was sure that i could not hear her the second time as well.

The dinner was nice and I enjoyed every minute of the atmosphere; after a nice Hells Kitchen coffee I decided to call it a night. I wanted to get in to the local time as of the folling morning and a good long sleep would make the difference and I was meeting Maxime for breakfast in the morning.

Nasdaq commercial
I was in the 9th Street and I was only one street from my hotel. As I walked into the hotel there were loads of people queueing up outside of the hotel in order to enter a dark hole of a door neighbouring the hotel entrance. I asked the nightman and he told me that it was a gay trance club, but I had seen loads of women in the queue as well. I guess it is like in all cities that the gay community here is fun to be and party with so everybody want to join in.

I went up to my room with my brown paper bag from the nightshop on the corner containg some juice and a cold beer. The beer was for the TV time before the bedtime and the juice for the morning. There was no fridge in the room but there was an ice machine in the lounge area on the first floor. I managed to have one taste from the beer before I decided to sleep. The rest of the beer ended in the sink.

monky says:
I love New York city beautiful city with lot interesting museums and places to visit!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2010
binky says:
I love Hell's Kitchen! Wish I could move there, but way too expensive, I guess Brooklyn isn't so bad! Glad to see you had a good time!
Posted on: Apr 11, 2010
Stars & Commerce
Stars & Commerce
New York Hotels & Accommodations review
Good stay close to Time Square
It was my first time in New York and I had no idea about which hotels to choose from; the only thing I wanted was to be close Time Square. I booked th… read entire review
New York Sights & Attractions review
Just a place I had to visit
I had really been looking forward to visit Time Square on my short New York visit. In my original plan I had wanted to visit Time Square on New Year  read entire review
New York Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
What a noice!
This must be one of the noisiest restaurants that I ever have entered; not that I did mind. It was quite entertaining, and it reminded me of a chicken… read entire review
New York