My FAVORITE place in the world!!!

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

I can't wait to go back to Brazil! So many amazing things to see and do. First and foremost I highly recommend getting "night life" advice from locals and taxi drivers instead of travel websites. Every place I looked up that I went to wasn't that great, but when I just asked a taxi driver or local to take us to a cool club they never let us down. The locals are so nice; not many spoke English but when we came across those who did they loved giving us advice on what to do. Club Melt in Leblon is a cool samba club with 2 floors. If you go to Rio you HAVE to go to see the Christ statue on Corcovado mountain and you also have to go to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain because the views of both are so amazing and don't even look real they are so beautiful. Many people would be scared to do this, but I strongly recommend hang-gliding over the Tijuca rainforest. That was my most memorable experience. If anyone is interested I can put them in touch with a very qualified hang-glider who took us. He and his entire crew were great. In Brazil you have to go to the churrascaria (meat buffet) and I recommend wearing baggy clothes cuz you will leave 10 pounds heavier. The one we went to is a very well known one called Porcao and it was fabulous. The largest mall in South America is about half an hour away from Ipanema but is definitely worth the trip. It is called Baja de Tijuca and it took us two trips to see MOST but not all of it. If you are looking for Brazilian jeans the famous "Gang" Jeans are sold there. There is a swap meet, i believe held on Sundays, called Feira Hype (hippie fair) that is great to buy souveniers. I don't remember the cross streets but it is in ipanema and would be easy to look up. I got most of my souveniers there for pretty cheap. To any ladies planning to go, be aware that the men there are much more forward there than many other cultures. I had to push a man off me on the beach who was trying to kiss me; he didn't even speak the same language as me! They are not bashful and be expecting lots of whistles, cat calls, and getting hit on a lot!