Back to Marrakesh

Casablanca Travel Blog

Casa Voyagours train station

I woke up at 9.00am showered and walked towards the train station where my train was due to depart at 10:50 but it was delayed and we were told it wouldn't be leaving until 11:30! So I headed across the street and bought myself a steak sandwich and chips for only 20 dirham which I thought was an absolute bargain and was very pleased with! It tasted great too! At the platform I got talking to an Australian women who was with her 3 children who had taken 6 months out to go travelling and she told me how the Moroccans had been a little too over familuar with the girls. I clambered onto the train but unlike Marrakesh there were already passengers in the compartments and as such I was forced to stand in the aisle. I tried to read my book and sit on my bag but people constantly moved up and down the 1 metre wide aisle much to my annoyance as I couldn't see a reason for it! Eventually some passengers got out at a station and I was able to sit in one of the air conditioned apartments and slept for much of the journey back to Marrakesh.

the 1m wide aisle

I arrived in Marrakesh at about 3pm and once again finding my Riad (Riad Chenoui) was a nightmare as the map was not an accurate representation of the small roads leading off the square. A lad of about 17 asked me if I would like pointing in the right direction and then led me to the hotel where I asked him how much he wanted. A few of his friends had unfortunately just spotted us and they demanded that I gave him 100 dirhams. In the end I gave him 40 and told them if they didn't want that then fine, they took the money and thankfully left me alone.

Inside the riad it was once again a very different experience with trees inside and a roof terrace.

Riad Chenoui
The beds in the room were very close together again but it wasn't really my attention to spend much time in the room anyway. I met Fran├žois who was a Canadian studying in Spain and it was good to talk to him for a while about his travel plans, he had flown over from Spain and was travelling back by land with the intention of getting back to college for the start of his semester. He found that he could get beer and wine from the riad owner downstairs which was lucky as I didn't see much anywhere else in Marrakesh with it being a Muslim country.

As I walked towards the square I talked to a stall owner who mistook me for an Australian he had apparently spoken to yesterday. He showed me the different types of natural perfumes he had which you broke off and rubbed on you and they did indeed smell very pleasant.

Dinner in the square
I walked down the main street leading off from the square and followed it as far as it went before having a mint tea at the bottom. I then walked back up to a coffee shop that I had seen was showing the Manchester United game and had a couple of cokes in there watching the second half. The coffee shop owner was a Manchester United fan and so he was happy to give me my first coke for free which was cool. I walked out after the game which we lost in the last minute and went into the market for tea.

They have a large number of market stall type restaurants and I had chicken tangine in there for 40 dirhams which was very good value. After my tea I had an orange juice for 3 dirhams and again it tasted very good. Less than 30p for a glass of fresh orange juice really is a bargain! I walked around the souqs for a bit but I got a bit annoyed a bit I was bombarded over and over again by over excited stall owners making sure they got my attention and asking me to have a look at the goods they had to sell. I had been told that the best thing was to say no politely which didn't really work but worked a lot better than not being polite which caused them to become quite aggressive quite quickly. After the Souq's I sat down for a few mint teas and finished work on my poem then went back to the riad to sleep.

Casablanca