Arrival

Marrakech Travel Blog

Landing in Marrakesh

As we approached Marrakesh I was sleeping in the plane and as I woke I turned to look out of the window, "Wow" I said very impressed by what I saw below as the sandy coloured building were suddenly coming into focus as we came into land.

Once in Marrakesh I walked outside of the airport and was greeted with lots of taxis beeping and requesting my custom. I chose to save my money and take the long walk along avenue Mohammed iv and up to Gare ONCF.

At the train station I bought a ticket to Casablanca for a very reasonable 90 dirhams. The Google map that I had printed out was very wrong and so I was unable to find the Riad Zitoune where I was due to be spending the night.

Walking from the airport
Luckily a guy on his motorbike was happy to give me directions and said to head to the mosque and then take a left into the market square.

Djema el Fna square was definitely one of the most amazing environments I have entered and another real "wow" moment! Unfortunately looking for my riad I got lost down the side streets and came across a man who wanted to show me the way. He found out that I was welsh and so he proceeded to tell me about his love for Ian Rush and Ryan Giggs! Eventually we did find the riad but instead of the 10 dirhams I planned to gave him I accidentaly gave him 100.

The Riad itself was very different to anywhere I had ever stayed before and it felt like a big bathroom and the temperature was really cool and ideal for having a bit of rest from the heat.

Mosque in Marrakesh
The room did feel a bit insecure with no personal lockers.

As I walked out of the Riad I was struck by how hot it was and picked up some water from one of the window stalls they have dotted around the side streets. I headed towards the mosque and took a few pictures before a man smoking cigarette begged to have some of my water and I felt too harsh not to give it to him. Unfortunately I then realised it might not be too hygienic to share water with a beggar but before long a female on the streets begged to have the water herself so I gave it to her.

Near a roundabout just off the square there is a great little coffee shop and there I had a the le menthe and a few glasses of water water overlooking the mosque and I spent a couple of hours watching the world go by as the sun was setting before heading back to the square which was by now really hustling and bustling.

View from the balcony

I went up a balcony where I had a Fanta lemon overlooking the square as the lights were starting to come on. As I walked back I was asked by an artisan from Burma to have a look at the things he had made, there were pots wooden masks and saris.

I showered and then went out for food the first place I found was charging 250 dirhams for a 3 course meal including show which was a little steep for me but the second place was great value at 85 dirhams for chicken, black olives, lemon sauce, water and bread. I sat in a garden which was sort of like the outside inside as they have these open areas in many of the buildings I visited.

In the market I went up to a stall and was asked to try the dates and nuts but I annoyed the stall owner when I didn't buy any.

On the balcony
I had another mint tea in the square and a little boy of perhaps 7 came up to me and asked for 10 dirham for doing "gymnastics" I felt harsh not to give it to him but asked if in return I could take a picture. I walked around the market and saw amongst the dancers and storytellers funfair type game such as football where a participant had to try to knock over 2 bowling pins, a golf putting game to win a packet of cigarettes and a fishing for fizzy drinks game which was definitely making the most money as the large fishing rods could be seen from all over the square. After walking round the square for a while I made my way back to my riad which luckily I was able to find now easy enough.

Dinner