Sacre Bleu We're In France

Domfront Travel Blog

Yay! We're in France!!

Domfront, a town of historical importance as it was here in 1052 that William the Conqueror recaptured it from the Angevines, and it was within the castle walls, in 1169, Henry II and Thomas Beckett attempted their final reconciliation, and furthermore it was in the town of Domfront that I ate my most French meal of cuisses de grenouilles en persillade and pigeon roti aux chanterelles which translates into English as Frogs Legs and Pigeon.  Delicious!

I’ve never quite understood the French fascination with eating this type of food, but I though ‘when in France….’.  However, while it was a tasty meal, I did feel like I could have just whipped out the back into my garden at home and cooked up the frog that has been camped out in my pond, sauté a few snails I could possibly find in my mailbox and catch a pigeon which you can find in any city, pluck the feathers and bake.

Arriving into Chateau de Chambord
  Still, where is the fun in this and beside, the preparation would be time consuming so this seemed like the least amount of admin.

I would recommend eating the Frogs Legs.  Although boney, they were pre peeled (is this the correct term … maybe skinned is better) and did not look much like my childhood memory of Kermit de Frog.  These tasty morsels were succulent and tasted remarkably like chicken.  (It never ceases to amaze me how many meat products taste like chicken – years earlier while on safari in Kenya and Tanzania, I dined at ‘Carnivores.’  This institution had been around since 1980 and here I got to eat zebra, crocodile, ostrich, a lot of this meat reminded me of chicken.)  So here I was dining in Auberge du Grand Gousier eating the chicken flavoured cuisses de grenouilles and a large portion of pigeon, which tasted like liver to me.

Andrew and I posing for the camera

But how was it that I had got to be in this medieval town drinking local reds and purchasing a fine Bordeaux for only €3?  Well, it was all because of a lovely little lawnmower we had hired in Helmond.

Lawnmower?  Well I’m not sure if the term ‘car’ could be used to describe our vehicle.  From the outside, it looked like a car but the Renault Clio had a smaller engine to what we wanted as we didn’t think a 1.1 litre would even get up to the speed limit, but after driving over 900kms today, I am quite confident this will get us around Normandy quite nicely.  We won’t win any speeding races, but it has proved to be very economical with only needing petrol after we had driven over 700 kms.

Earlier today we had gone off on a tiki-tour and found a lovely chateau I had seen in the movie ‘Ever After’.  Being the soppy romantic that I am, I had always wanted to see Chateau de Chambord and I can now finally tick this off my bucket list.

We arrived at the Chateau just before closing, and although we didn’t go in, we walked around the estate and had the obligatory touristy photos.  Set in a large park, we drove for a long time through the woods before finally being greeted with a glimpse of the castle and while normally you have to pay for parking here (€3), because we arrived late in the day, we were able to park for free.  I am liking France already!

So here we are, living the life in Normandy, staying in a lovely B&B for two nights while we see the sights of this area (or as much of the sites we can pack into our short time here).

Chateau de Chambord
  (http://www.numerocinq.eu/)  We have a lot to see and do.  There is the Bayeux Tapestry, there are the beaches which were part of the Normandy Landings in 1944, Mont St Michel, plus cutesy little villages along the way and then there is all the local food and wine to sample…..

Oh la la I like this part of France.

Yay!  Were in France!!
Yay! We're in France!!
Jumping for Joy
Jumping for Joy
Hmmm, one of these pictures looks …
Hmmm, one of these pictures looks…
Taking arty shots from the car
Taking arty shots from the car
The streets of Domfront
The streets of Domfront
Trying out the new camera - some w…
Trying out the new camera - some …
Our view from our B&B Numero Cinq